Cash for Your Party

ā€¢

Can a hundred bucks turn your Dunster walk-through into an Ibiza-worthy nightclub? If you're up for the challenge, check out The Party Fund, an NYC-based company that offers 10 weekly grants of $100 to college students who complete simple promotion tasks for their sponsors.

The brainchild of former Currier Ten-Man resident Daniel "Zak" Tanjeloff '08, The Party Fund is still in its launch period.Ā This week's task, which goes live on Wednesday at 11 p.m., asks students to post a link to NerdWallet.com, a website which aims to match users with credit cards based on their spending habits. Grants will go to the first 10 people who post a two-sentence description of NerdWallet, including a link to its website, on a site with a .edu domain name, although Tanjeloff hopes that future tasks will involve social media.

To collect the grant money, winners must snap a photo of themselves with 10 friends at the funded party, holding signs that declare their love for the sponsor. ("Don't be a smartass and actually take a picture that says 'We love Sponsor,'" The Party Fund websiteĀ advises.) Once the photo is uploaded, The Party Fund will send a reimbursement check. According to Tanjeloff, one lucky host in Quincy House has already been a recipient of a grant.

Tanjeloff, who remembers the perennial social space discussion from his own days at Harvard, drew his inspiration for The Party Fund from the now-defunct party grants that the Undergraduate Council provided while he was on campus. He sees these small grants as a way that students can utilize existing social spaces unencumbered by financial concerns.

"Obviously, a problem for many college students is they never have enough cash to party the way they want to," Tanjeloff said. "We are trying our best to address that problem."

CollegeOn CampusHouse LifeCollege LifeHarvard on the Web

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.