One-sided Geniuses, Hitler's Strength Declines, Kennedy at Harvard

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

November 8, 1932: Hitler's Strength Now On Wane, Declares Fay

"The decline in the vote to Hitler's National Socialists is the most significant thing shown by the German national elections last Sunday," said S. B. Fay '96, professor of History, in an interview yesterday. "Since the vote for his party has declined from 37 per cent to 33 per cent of the total, Hitler has suffered his first major setback since the fall of 1930.

"Hitler is discredited in his claim made recently that he would have an absolute majority in the Reichstag. Many of his followers have lost faith in him since he has not made good his promises. Hitler is definitely checkmated and his National Socialist vote is likely to fall still further. A large proportion of former members of his party have voted for Hitler's two worst enemies, the Communists and the Nationalists.

November 5, 1955: One-sided Geniuses or Glorified Girl Scouts?

Each girl entering the freshman class at Wellesley this fall received a yellow introductory booklet describing life at the College. An essential element of Wellesley seemed to be Harvard, the editors implied. They defined it as: "Not strictly a part of Wellesley. We share it with Radcliffe."

Harvard men might object to this possessive definition, but even the most conscientious objector could not deny the importance of both colleges in life at Harvard. Radcliffe's eminent position was even proclaimed nationally two years ago, when The Saturday Evening Post entitled an article: "They're Wearing Lipstick at Harvard Now."

November 7, 1956: Young Republicans Herald Ike's Victory With Beer and Banners

With elephants leering down from all four walls and with "Peace, Prosperity, and Progress" strewn liberally around the room, the HYRC held its election night jamboree in the Hotel Continental last night.

Hundreds of Ike backers crowded into the Continental to drink the HYRC free beer and to throw out an occasional cheer as the election landslide came in. The discordant sounds of the "King's Men," an instrumental quartet of sorts, mingled with the mumblings and chatterings of the 300-450 present to make the whole affair something less than a spontaneous exhibition of political enthusiasm.

November 4, 1960: Kennedy at Harvard: From Average Athlete to Political Theorist in Four Years

John F. Kennedy entered Princeton September 1935. Although both a father and brother had attended Harvard, Jack decided against it. He had not equaled his brother Joe's excellent record at Cheat and perhaps did not wish to be merely Joe Kennedy's brother at another school.

The future Senator and Presidential candidate spent only three months at Old Nassau. Near Christmas he concocted yellow jaundice and withdrew. The next autumn he came up to Cambridge along with the 938 other members of the Class of 1940.

November 7, 1985: Selling a Piece of the Rock

Dr. Ernest G. Stillman '08, one of the Harvard's biggest financial supporters in the middle of this century, was almost as eccentric as he was rich.

Although like other alums he bankrolled swimming pools, baseball cages, professorships and construction in the Yard, he devoted much of his life to silviculture, donating a forest, a museum and some $1.25 million to Harvard to encourage scholarship in the field.

In his last will and testament, released upon his death in 1949, Stillman instructed his caretakers "to have my remains cremated and the ashes scattered in Black Rock Forest, Orange County, New York." In the same document, he donated to the University the 3800-acre parcel of land that borders the Hudson River, along with a sizable endowment.

Compiled by Ginny C. Fahs and Julie M. Zauzmer.

WinthropEndowmentHistoryAlumniArchivesRepublicansThe Harvard CrimsonFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.