What To Do On Presidents' Day

•
George Washington
George Washington

From Flyby, the five top things to do on your day off, both related to the holiday, and not.

1. Chocolate—A Taste of Presidential History

10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 1715 Clough House at the Old North Church in Boston. Free.

This interactive demonstration will exhibit the ingredients and tools that people used to make chocolate in the 1700s. You can even taste hot chocolate made with the same recipe that Presidents Washington and Jefferson savored during the 18th century. The event is happening at the Old North Church in Boston, the famous Revolutionary War site where Paul Revere saw the lamps hung "one if by land, two if by sea." The church will also be hosting a Colonial Printing Demonstration for Presidents' Day where historians will explain how printing helped spark the Revolutionary War. Two history lessons in one—a pretty sweet deal.

2. Franklin Park Zoo PreZOOdential Election Week

11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Franklin Park Zoo. Tickets are $16.

The Franklin Park Zoo is celebrating Presidents' Day through their very own election—the PreZOOdential Election (get it?). The Zoo will be electing a "president" of the zoo animals and they already have a host of promising candidates including Jockamo, a male giant anteater, Isidoro, a male Brazilian ocelot, and Stella Luna, a female red panda. Assert your right as a voter and head out to the Zoo to make sure the best candidate wins. If you can't make it to the event, make sure you fill out the absentee ballot by emailing your candidate of choice to AnimalPresident@zoonewengland.com.

3. Harvard Film Archive Screening—"Black Republic"

7 p.m. at Harvard Film Archive, Carpenter Center, 24 Quincy Street. Free.

Never seen a South Korean film before? Head over to the Carpenter Center to check out Park Kwang-su's film "Black Republic" (in Korean with English subtitles). "Black Republic" tells the story of Kim Ki-Young, a student protestor who escapes from the police to a small mining village where he falls in love with a waitress in a local tea house. The film pushed censorship limits in South Korea by making a political statement and exposing the exploited labor and police brutality in the Korean coal industry.

4. The Big Quiz Thing at OBERON

2 Arrow Street, Harvard Square. Doors open at 7 p.m., trivia begins at 8 p.m. Free.

Come as part of a team of four to eight people to compete in the ultimate multimedia test of useless knowledge. World renowned quizmaster Noah Tarnow hosts this unconventional trivia experience complete with Smart-Ass Points for wrong but funny answers, the Lightning Round, the Three-War Finale, and a whopping $200 cash prize for the team that emerges victorious.

5. Cabot Cafe Grand Re-opening

9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Basement of Cabot House E Entryway. (Enter through the dining hall and follow the signs).

After a $70,000 renovation, Cabot Café will finally be opening to the public again this Monday night. Complete with additional power outlets, enhanced floors and lighting, a more extensive menu, and a student art exhibit to add to the cozy ambiance. Stop by for chill music, comfy armchairs, and a soothing atmosphere to round out your Presidents’ Day weekend.

On CampusOff CampusHoliday

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.