'Epic' Hazing at Dartmouth, Grade Deflation at Princeton, and How to Be a Gentleman, Yale Style

•

The quick and dirty about what's been going on around the Ancient Eight (and other schools too).

Dartmouth seems to have found itself in the midst of what IvyGate has described as an "epic hazing scandal." While "epic" brings to mind greatness and heroism, in this case, there seems to be something rotten in the state of New Hampshire. Earlier this month, 27 (!) members of Dartmouth's Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) fraternity were charged with hazing violations that occurred during the 2009 and 2011 fall pledge season. Apparently SAE pledges were forced to "swim in a kiddie pool of rotten food, vomit and other bodily fluids; eat omelets made of vomit; and chug cups of vinegar." That's disgusting.

Meanwhile, Princeton's new dean of the college, Valerie Smith, just announced that she "does not have plans" to do away with the school's grade deflation policy. To those who think grade deflation at Princeton is actually unreasonable, the following should help clarify. The school's policy states "no more than 35 percent of students on average should earn an A in a course and no more than 55 percent of students on average should earn an A on independent work." Rough stuff.

Over in New Haven, an article published in the Yale Daily News gives male students advice on how to be a (Yale) gentleman. Tips include wearing trousers (not pants), reading "The Economist" (conspicuously, of course), and skiing in the Alps (only the Alps). It also suggests smoking Cuban cigars (while reminding friends that "each puff is worth more than their life"); and owning a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Isabel. Satire? Or a strikingly too real account of good old Yalie boys?

And in other news, The Daily Pennsylvanian just announced that Geoffrey Canada, social activist and founder of the Harlem Children's Zone, will be Penn's commencement speaker this year. Maybe he plans on expanding his work to West Philly next? All jokes aside, kudos to Penn for choosing an interesting and inspiring speaker.

CollegeStudent LifeYaleAround the Ivies Plus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.