99 Years Ago, Harvard Described As "Not the Rich Man's College"

1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

June 10, 1913: Not the Rich Man's College

A report was recently made before the Associated Harvard Clubs by the Committee on Secondary Schools which discloses some interesting facts concerning Harvard. In making the investigation the Committee selected a group of 292 men in the classes of 1910, 1911, 1912, and 1913, representing the most prominent men in each class, such as class officers, athletes, editors, Phi Beta Kappa men, student councillors, etc.

June 16, 1966: War Protest at Harvard Is Not New

More than a hundred Harvard students gathered on the lawn in front of Widener Library on that afternoon in April. They handed out leaflets and condemned war and aggression, but they were not worried about Vietnam. Most of them, in fact, had probably never heard of Vietnam.

It was the spring of 1940 and the students were members of the Harvard Student Union, a leftist political organization that was determined to keep the United States out of the war in Europe. From September of 1939 to September of 1941 they waged a campaign that rivals in intensity and conviction anything that Students for the Democratic Society has done in protest against the war in Vietnam.

June 10, 1968: Sen. Robert F. Kennedy '48 Is Buried

Amidst hysterical sorrow and calm remembrance, the ceremonies planned for the funeral of Robert F. Kennedy '48 were duly carried out today.

The church service was short. When it was over, after Edward M. Kennedy '54 had delivered an emotion-choked eulogy, the mourners spilled out into the brilliant sunshine of New York City.

Compiled by Julie M. Zauzmer

Harvard in the WorldGovernmentHistoryCelebritiesArchivesProtests

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.