Flyby's Guide to Free Tours of Boston

•
A 1909 postcard of the Boston Public Library.

With some of the most famous museums and historical landmarks in the world, Boston is a thriving hub of culture and history. To help you navigate through your options, Flyby has assembled a list of some of the free tours going on in Boston this summer.

Boston Public Library Art and Architecture Tours

With a circulating collection of over 800,000 books, the BPL is a great choice if you're looking for a summer read. But it also offers frequent tours of the astonishing architecture on display at the central library branch in Copley Square, which includes both the Beaux-Arts style of Charles Follen McKim and the stark modernism of Philip Johnson. Tours are offered at 11 a.m., Mon.–Sat.

Massachusetts Historical Society

This library features writings from some of the most important Massachusetts residents, including extensive documents relating to John and Abigail Adams. And this Saturday at 10 a.m., the society will host a 90-minute tour of their holdings with no reservation required.

The Museum of Fine Arts

In early August, the MFA will have a day of free admission, but until then, you can get your MFA fix with a a free, guided tour of the museum's collection. The tours take place at 10:30 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays and cover everything from Americana to the museum’s contemporary collection.

The Massachusetts State House

Theres a lot of history to explore in Massachusetts' state capitol, and there's also some incredible architecture, including the building's distinctive gilded dome. Luckily, free tours organized by the staff cover both. Though it won't cost you anything, be sure to make sure you call ahead to save a spot.

Student LifeSummer

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.