5 Things to Know About the Red Sox

•

With the World Series over and the Fenway traffic winding down, you might want to know a few things about the Red Sox in case casual dinner conversation turns into a World Series recap discussion. We here at Flyby are here to help you make that conversation less awkward.

1.     The Red Sox won the World Series

Seems pretty obvious, huh? Well you’d be surprised about the number of people I’ve talked to who have asked me: “Wait—did the Red Sox or the Cardinals win?” We are in Cambridge! We’re basically in Boston! But, if you did (hopefully) already know that the Sox won, it’s the first time we’ve won at home since 1918. That’s right—95 years since the Sox have taken the title at Fenway Park. We can officially wish the Curse of the Bambino good riddance.

2.     Stephen Drew can, in fact, hit the ball

For a while there, I think most Sox fans lost all hope in infielder Stephen Drew’s hitting ability. There was even a twitter account called @DidDrewGetAHit, which constantly tweeted no whenever Drew struck out or didn’t get on base. Game 6 made this twitter account awkward, however, when Drew came to bat and hit a homerun. So, @DidDrewGetAHit, yes. Yes he did.

3.     Koji Uehara has the cutest son. Ever.

Out of all the postgame interviews after the Sox won the World Series in Game 6 (just a refresher in case you forgot), Koji Uehara’s son gave by far the best interview. When asked how proud he was of his dad, the Boston Red Sox closer who got the final out, Koji’s son responded “good.” If that’s not the cutest response you’ve ever heard, try this: when he was asked how hard he was going to celebrate that night, Koji’s son responded “crazy.” It doesn’t get much better than that.

4.     Big Papi knows how to pump up a crowd

David Ortiz (Big Papi to dedicated Sox fans) provides entertainment both on and off the field. Along with being named World Series MVP, Big Papi grabbed the mic to rile up Fenway Park, and he did so without fail. Back in April, following the Boston Marathon bombings, Ortiz told Boston fans “This is our f***ing city.” To relive this amazing quote during his postgame interview after Game 6, Ortiz slyly asked interviewers if he should keep it clean this time. He then shouted: “This is our bleeeeeeeeep city” to thousands of viewers. The crowd went wild.

5.     There is a parade this Saturday at 10 a.m.

Some of the best things about Boston is its sports, and even better are the celebrations that follow Boston championships. So, if you have nothing better to do on Saturday morning at 10 a.m. (which you shouldn’t, considering nothing ever happens late on Friday nights), head over to Boston and see the 2013 World Series Champions drive by on Duck Boats. It’s surely a sight you won’t want to miss.

BaseballBostonFlyby BlogFlyby City

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.