How-To: Reunions at Yale

Harvard-Yale provides Harvard students a number of unique opportunities: the chance to show school spirit at a sporting event (or even attend a sporting event), the one good reason to ever visit New Haven, and of course, the occasion to meet up with Yalies. From friends from home to summer camp acquaintances, there can be quite the range of people to reconnect with. Here’s how to deal with each of them.

The Kid You Interned With
Carve out some time Friday or Saturday night to grab dinner and catch up. You landed the same internship due to your similar interests, skills, and career aspirations, and more often than not, those still hold. It never hurts to keep up the relationship. Trust us, it’s called networking.

Your Parent’s Friends’ Kid
A friendly text or Facebook message should suffice. Make sure to gauge what this kid is like. Are they going to see you at Toad’s and mention it to their parents—who will then pass along the stories (and incriminating photographic evidence) to your mom and dad? Proceed with caution.

The Kid You Did Study Abroad With
Chances are, you had some good times with this person when you were both “studying” in Spain last semester. Find them Friday night and let them take you to the parties. It won’t be as fun as your international adventures (what is?) but at least you’ll be in good company.

The Kid You Competed Against In High School
Whether they were on the rival soccer team or your main opposition at debate tournaments, nothing feels better than watching them lose. Plan to meet up during half-time, by which time Harvard will definitely have established a comfortable lead. Wear crimson, stand in view of the scoreboard, and watch them implode. You deserve it.

The Kid Who Went to Your High School Who You Don’t Really Know
Send a friendly Facebook message or text and see what happens. Maybe that’ll be the end of it. Maybe you’ll be struggling through the crowds at the tailgate to meet up with them. Either way is better than randomly running into them at a sweaty dorm room party. That turns out to be their sweaty dorm room party. Awkward.

The Kid You Hooked Up With Last Time
Avoid. Unless they’re hot.

YaleReunionsThe GameFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.