Yogurtland Brings New Flavor to the Square

Yogurtland patron Debbie Marujo exits the new frozen yogurt joint, chocolate and pistachio froyo in hand.

A month after opening its doors, Yogurtland, the newest entrant into Harvard Square’s crowded frozen yogurt landscape, is hoping that its self-service model will lure in customers looking for relief from the blazing summer heat.

So far, employees say, the strategy is working. The new business is "doing very wellevery day, better and better," said Peter Vamvakas, operations manager for the franchise’s Boston-area market.

The new store, located at 57 JFK St. and facing Winthrop Square, held its grand opening on June 27 after serving its first customers on June 17. The shop is now swirling 16 unique flavors and serving dozens of available toppings from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and until midnight on Friday and Saturday.

Vamvakas said he believes the company’s self-service model, which allows customers to serve themselves their yogurt from machines, is "one of the big differences" between Yogurtland and its competitors in the Square.

Though plain tart remains the crowd favorite, Yogurtland's machines offer rich flavors like dutch chocolate and New York cheesecakeVamvakas's favoritesas well as lighter options like guava grapefruit sorbet. Customers can also expect promotional events throughout the year, such as free offerings on National Frozen Yogurt Day, according to Larry Sidoti, vice president of development at Yogurtland.

Sidoti said bringing a Yogurtland to Harvard Square "was an easy decision for us." Vamvakas agrees, calling the Square an "excellent location" for the business. The new yogurt shop is part of a larger effort by the company to open about 20 storefronts in the greater Boston area.

Here at Flyby, we love our frozen yogurt. With the addition of Yogurtland to the mix, our summer staff will review the Square’s froyo options, pitting them against each other in sugary combat. Check back tomorrow for our first installment of the Froyo Throwdown series.

Food and DrinkHarvard SquareThe SquareSquare BusinessFlyby City

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.