Harvard Today: October 14, 2014

•
By Zorigoo Tugsbayar

Happy Tuesday! We hope you had a fun and restful long weekend, but having Monday off makes it that much harder to rally for class tomorrow. In an effort to make your morning just a little bit happier, here are some links that’ll hopefully make you smile:

1) Jimmy Fallon, can you please teach us how you manage to combine humor and current events like this?!

2) John McCain dancing to his heart’s content at an event in the Hamptons over the summer (seriously, it’s a well-spent 18 seconds).

3) Tesla founder and chief executive Elon Musk told everyone it was almost time to “unveil the D” on Thursday, meaning that they were introducing a new version of their Model S cars. Let the snickering commence.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today’s going to be a really nice day! It’ll be sunny and a high of 77 degrees, so what more can we ask for

IN THE D-HALL
Lunch:
Herb Crusted Pollack
Indonesian Stir Fry with Tempeh
Spicy Potato Pierogies

Dinner:
Chicken Parmesan
Swedish Meatballs
Scheherazade Casserole: Bulgar, Tomato and Soybean Casserole (a very specific name indeed)

ON FLYBY
1) Even People in the 1400s Agreed Columbus Was An Asshole: We’re so glad we had the day off, but now we’re feeling a little (never mind, very much so) guilty about it.

2) HUPD Police Log 9/22 - 10/12: Stolen Elevator Doors and Disappearing Swordsmen: "Officer dispatched to take a report of an individual who had received an annoying text message. Too many emojis.”

IN THE NEWS
1) Students Call on Admins To Alert Teaching Staff of Threats: “At an open discussion on Friday, students argued that administrators had not sufficiently alerted faculty members and teaching fellows of the nature of the racially charged, emailed death threat that several hundred Harvard affiliates received in early October.”

2) New Tool Makes Cancer Analysis More Accessible: "A team of Harvard researchers and their colleagues have developed a new software platform that makes it easier for scientists to understand and analyze the many forms of cancer. Called StratomeX, the software can be used to visualize patterns in cancer-related bioinformatics data in a more lucid and less technical manner."

3) FAS Committee Convenes Peers to Weigh Service Programs: "Panelists from a number of Harvard’s peer institutions detailed their schools’ efforts to integrate public service and academics at a symposium sponsored by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Standing Committee on Public Service on Friday."

4) UC Vows to Increase Student Voice in Administrative Decisions: "Top Undergraduate Council leaders have dialed up their criticism of a perceived lack of student inclusion in administrative decisions and will meet with University President Drew G. Faust Friday to demand reform."

EVENTS
Interested in attending free January courses at Dumbarton Oaks? The OCS is having an info session for it from 3 to 3:45 p.m. at 54 Dunster Street.

The OCS is having a CIA JobTalk from 7 to 8 p.m. in the HKS Starr Auditorium. Dinner will be served!

The Harvard Political Union and the Politics of Race and Ethnicity at the IOP are presenting a debate on Obama's Legacy on Race on Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. in Science Center D. There will be free Insomnia Cookies!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Dean Michael D. Smith, far right, moderates a symposium on the intersection between public service and academics.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: October 14, 2014

An earlier version of this post incorrectly states when the Harvard Political Union and the Politics of Race and Ethnicity at the IOP are hosting the debate on President Obama's legacy regarding race. In fact, the event will be Wednesday at 7:15 p.m.

On CampusStudent LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.