Harvard Today: October 7, 2014

By Kara A Birkenmayer

Good morning Harvard, and happy Tuesday! Today’s October 7th, marking the end of our first full week of October, and the anniversary of a number of events in history. If you’re looking for a conversation topic at dinner with your distant link-mates or an icebreaker to create a bond with that cute kid from section, we’ve got you covered. Here’s October 7th in history:

1691: William and Mary, joint monarchs of England, issue a royal charter for the Province of Massachusetts Bay, which we now know as the states of Maine and Massachusetts. Happy birthday to the state Harvard (and seemingly 50% of the student body) calls home!

1868: Cornell University holds opening day ceremonies, welcoming an initial class of 412 students, the highest at any American University at the time. Cornell’s freshman class this year has 3,261 students.

1916: Georgia Tech beats Cumberland University 222-0 in the most ridiculous college football game of all time. Until Harvard-Yale this year, that is...Go Crimson!

1955: Allen Ginsberg, American poet, performs his poem Howl for the first time.

2001: The U.S. invasion of Afghanistan begins with an air assault and covert operations on the ground. Thirteen years ago today. The Class of 2018 was in kindergarten.

And that’s just the start. What’s today going to be? Make it a great day or not, the choice is yours, Harvard!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Today’s temperature will be considerably warmer than it’s been for a while, with a high of 74 degrees and a low of 62. Unfortunately, it’s not as good as it seems, it’ll be cloudy all day with a 20% chance of rain. Sigh. Can’t have everything, right?

IN THE D-HALLS

Lunch

Popcorn Chicken
Sausage Pizza
Seitan Fajitas

Dinner

Normandy Style Pork Loin
Swai with Honey Ginger Glaze
Portobello Mushroom with Quinoa Stuffing

ON FLYBY

Who Needs a Fake When You Have an HUID?: “Even though that shiny piece of plastic can get you almost anywhere at Harvard, there are several spots on campus notorious for their stinginess, even to those holding HUIDs.” Check out Flyby’s list of these campus hidden gems!

IN THE NEWS

1) Tech Hub in Science Center to Close by Oct. 31: Harvard Tech Hub, the computer and repair service store on the lower level of the Science Center, is set to close Oct. 17, with online sales closing Oct. 28, as Harvard University Information Technology phases out its Technology Products and Services branch.

2) Researchers Shed Light on Pancreatic Cancer: Researchers at Harvard Medical School have shed light on the underlying biochemical mechanisms of pancreatic cancer, according to findings published in Cell Reports in late September.

3) Forest Seminar Series Aims to Engage Students: As pointed dialogue about climate change takes place both on and off campus, the Harvard Forest Seminar Series this semester seeks to engage students and the public in discussion on environmental issues. The series covers issues ranging from “forest-climate interactions in an era of global change” to “diversity patterns in epiphytic lichens.”

4) Business School Professor Argues for ‘Decarbonized’ Economy: Though decarbonizing the world economy may be costly, it may prove cheaper than failure to act on climate change, according to Harvard Business School professor Rebecca M. Henderson.

EVENTS

The Farmer’s Market will be gracing the Science Center plaza from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. today! Stop by to get your fix of something fresh, local, and healthy.

Barbara Walters will be speaking at the JFK Jr. Forum at 6 p.m. today, along with CNN Correspondent, Kennedy School professor, and former presidential advisor David Gergen.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

At the fifth annual Nigerian Independence Day Gala held in Wasserstein Hall in Harvard Law School on Oct. 5, 2014, attendees were treated to a variety of traditional foods, including the ever-popular Jollof rice.

Flyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.