Harvard Today: November 24, 2014

•

By Robert F Worley

Good morning, Harvard! It’s crazy to think that The Game is over. It’s certainly been a very action-packed weekend, full of bitterly disappointed Yalies, recent and not-so-recent college graduates, witty posters for College GameDay, celebratory festivities (both before and after The Game), Sam Clark references, and frantic last-minute shopping at the Coop for Harvard apparel. But now all the Yalies—and other party-crashers—have rolled their suitcases out of the gates of Harvard Yard. The campus is quiet and empty. Only remnants of the wild weekend remain: traces of navy blue, shards of red solo cups, and of course, the tears of Yalies. How can we possibly return to the commonplace routine of school? Also, did anyone study this weekend? But in a mere two days, we will finally have our first break and a ready-made excuse to load up on turkey and cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes—basically anything but d-hall food!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Be sure to put on your rain boots and arm yourself with an umbrella before stepping outside today. It’ll be raining all day! Fortunately, with a high of 64 degrees and a low of 50, it will not be too chilly.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Chicken Fingers
Shrimp & Monterey Jack Quesadilla with Peppers & Tomato
Chick Pea Tikka Masala with Peas and Potatoes

Dinner:

Teriyaki Chicken with Scallions and Garlic
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Vegetable and Multigrain Spaghetti Caponata

ON FLYBY

1) Ten Ways You Could’ve Trolled Harvard Tourists: Convince a tourist that Harvard Square is a special brownie.

2) 'College GameDay' Does The Game: We were featured on TV and we won! #winningatlife

IN THE NEWS

1) Fong and Sprung-Keyser Named Rhodes Scholars: “Ruth C. Fong ’15 and Ben D. Sprung-Keyser ’15 are winners of the 2015 Rhodes Scholarship, The Rhodes Trust announced Saturday. They were the only two Harvard students to take home the prestigious award, a significant drop from last year’s six Scholars.”

2) Felipe’s Opening Delayed Until After Thanksgiving: “After months of delays, Felipe’s Taqueria may open at its new location at 21 Brattle St. in time to welcome students back from Thanksgiving break.”

3) Professors Make Case for ‘Long-Term’ History: “Two historians discussed the importance of crafting long-term historical narratives, the subject of their recent book “The History Manifesto,” at an event Friday afternoon.”

4) Deans, Patriots Owner Kick Off Sports Innovation Challenge: “The owners of the New England Patriots and the New England Revolution urged Harvard students to develop ideas that will improve the sports industry at an Innovation Lab event Friday afternoon.”

ON SPORTS

1) Harvard Beats Yale, 31-24, in Thriller, Finishes Unbeaten: “Hyperbole is easy in the moments after a perfect season ends. Still, one play in the fourth quarter Saturday vaulted the 131st playing of The Game—a 31-24 Harvard football win—into the conversation for the best Harvard-Yale game ever.”

EVENTS

Want to meet the former Prime Minister of Lebanon, Najib A. Mikati? Come to Austin Hall, Room 111, on the Harvard Law School campus from 12 to 1:30 p.m. today. He will be discussing centrism in the Middle East, and will speak about his own experience promoting centrism in Lebanon.

Can’t get enough of sports after The Game this weekend? Meet Luis Fernandes, the vice-minister of sports for Brazil, and Pedro Trengrouse, the U.N. Consultant on Sports, today from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at the Harvard Law School, WCC 2009.

Watch a screening of the movie “The World of Jacques Demy,” directed by Agnes Varda, today from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Harvard Film Archive. Follow the life of this influential filmmaker through home movies, interviews, and behind-the-scenes footages on his film sets. Free for all Harvard students, $7 for faculty and staff and non-Harvard students, and $9 for general admission.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

GameDay posters!

On CampusStudent LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.