Harvard Today: November 25, 2014

•
By Jennifer Y Yao

Good morning, and happy last-day-before-break, Harvard! For those of you who haven’t already checked out in favor of Thanksgiving turkey dreams and the potential of home-cooked, non-dining hall food, today is the last day of classes for nearly an entire week! We’ve already completed our last full week of classes for the first semester, and have three more days of class next week before reading period starts. This is the home stretch! Hopefully those last minute papers and group assignments you didn’t do over the weekend aren’t getting you down, and you’ll be able to enjoy this Tuesday on campus. After all, we’re having swai for lunch, so you know it can’t get much better than that!

Don't forget to get your fifteen minutes of fame by sending us pictures of your Thanksgiving highlights by instagramming or tweeting @CrimsonFlyby with a caption and the tag #flybythanksgiving. Check out last year's gallery here! And last but not least, wishing you a happy Thanksgiving break from all of us at Flyby!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today’s highs are reported to be in the mid-50s, and the lows will be just above freezing. That seems like nothing after Saturday’s chilly Harvard-Yale game however, and fortunately there is a 0% chance of rain with only partly cloudy skies. All in all, a decent last day of class before break!

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Penne Bolognese
Swai baked with Lime, Cilantro, and Jalapeno
Falafel Sandwich

Dinner
Meat Lasagna
Mushroom Potato Au Gratin w/ Cashews

IN THE NEWS
1) Undergrads Welcome Obama Immigration Order With Reservations: Undocumented students and immigration reform advocates welcomed President Barack Obama’s recent move to offer additional protection to undocumented parents of American citizens and permanent residents, but said the order falls short of providing respite to many undocumented immigrants.

2) Parking Issues Come to Fore in Tense Allston Meeting: Allston residents demanded solutions to what they called chronic problems—particularly competition for parking from construction workers—facing the community as a result of Harvard’s development in Allston at a tense Harvard-Allston Task Force meeting Monday night.

3) Profs Urge Interdisciplinarity in CS Expansion: As Computer Science administrators look to fill 12 new professorships endowed by former Microsoft CEO Steven A. Ballmer ’77, faculty and students in the proliferating program say that it should use the opportunity to build upon Harvard’s liberal arts tradition and expand existing interdisciplinary offerings.

4) Three More Departments Endorse Section Size Cap: Faculty from the departments of Anthropology, Linguistics, and East Asian Languages and Civilizations have endorsed a 12-student cap on section sizes, expressing support for the Harvard Teaching Campaign, a movement urging Faculty of Arts and Sciences administrators to adopt the cap.

EVENTS
If you’re maybe pre-med and lost and confused, come to the Office of Career Services (54 Dunster St) for drop-in advising hours from 11 to 12 p.m.

Harvard Men’s Varsity Basketball plays Houston at home tonight at 7 p.m. at Lavietes Pavillion. Alternatively, head over to Boston University to watch Men’s Varsity Ice Hockey play, also at 7 p.m. Finally, you can tune in to Harvard Athletics to watch the Women’s Varsity Basketball team play at Holy Cross at 8 p.m.

Head over to the Oberon at 8 p.m. to check out The Moth, an event which allows amateurs to sign up to tell a five minute true story. These stories will then be scored by judges (the audience!), and then the winners will face off in a GrandSLAM championship. Tickets will be on sale at the door.

Come watch the Longy School of Music’s Conservatory Orchestra perform at 7:30 p.m. in Sanders Theatre. Geoffrey McDonald is conducting, and this classy evening of classical music should be fun for all. Tickets are free with a suggested donation.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Firefighters and firetrucks gather in front of Fairfax Hall on Mass. Ave. on Monday evening.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.