Harvard Today: November 3, 2014

•
By Shunella Grace Lumas

Good morning, Harvard! It’s Monday, the greatest day of the week! It’s the day when we all lament how little work we accomplished this past weekend to dance in ridiculous costumes alongside other people in equally ridiculous costumes. Here are some things we did instead of doing our homework/papers/studying for midterms/all other academic obligations:

1) Party (obviously): Just tell yourself going out three times this weekend was acceptable because it was Halloweekend and we got to feel as if we’re like every other school (jk they go out every night).

2) Meticulously analyze pictures of ourselves from this weekend: Maybe you spent 30 minutes editing a picture to make it your prof pic, only to realize you’re saving it until it’s a good time to rack in those Facebook likes (social media validation, what up).

3) Ask everyone what they were for Halloween/share with everyone what you were for Halloween: Let’s be real, it’s going to be one of these listed here: bunny, cat, sailor, hippie, or some obscure reference only you yourself will appreciate.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
After the monstrosity that was yesterday's weather, today is going to be significantly better! There will be a high of 57 degrees and a zero percent chance of precipitation (tbt to the snow…#toosoon?).

IN THE D-HALLS

Lunch:
Chicken Breast with Tomato Basil Salsa
Pork Sausage Sub with Peppers and Onions
Lentil Chili with Corn

Dinner:
Coconut Curry Chicken
Multigrain Penne with Basil Pesto and Shrimp
Tofu, Broccoli and Walnut Stir Fry

ON FLYBY
1) Name Sleuthing 101: Clever ways to finding out someone’s name, including stalking them at Starbucks either when they’re ordering their drink or when the barista calls out their decaf soy double-cupped half-syrup chai latte.

2) Reality Check: Penn Newspaper Initiates #beatharvard Campaign: Dear Daily Pennsylvanian, how dare you try to answer “Why is Penn better than Harvard?”

3) Your Dorm Room is Terrifying: Things scarier than those scary movies you binged on during Halloween weekend, such as laundry (omg).

IN THE NEWS
1) Days Before Election, Students Brave Snow and Hit the Trail: "Walking through a cold drizzle on Saturday morning, Albert B. Corvah ’18 made his way down Cambridge St., knocking on doors and reminding residents to vote during his last weekend campaigning for Massachusetts Democratic gubernatorial candidate Martha M. Coakley."

2) Ed School To Launch Teacher Fellows Program for College Seniors: "The Graduate School of Education will move forward with a new training program for graduating seniors from the College interested in entering the teaching profession after receiving a $10 million gift supporting the initiative last week, Dean of the School of Education James E. Ryan wrote in an email to GSE faculty on Friday."

3) UC Voices Frustration at Smith, Nixes Automatic Section Size Question: "Undergraduate Council leaders maintained a critical tone toward Harvard administrators in the weekly UC meeting Sunday, voicing frustration that Faculty of Arts and Sciences Dean Michael D. Smith has not yet scheduled a meeting with UC leadership to discuss student concerns."

4) Following Op-Ed, Town Hall Focuses on IOP Structure: “In light of a recent Harvard Political Review op-ed criticizing the structure of the Institute of Politics and its definition of politics, more than 40 IOP-affiliated students gathered in the Winthrop House Tonkens Room on Friday to share reactions to the piece and ideas about the future of the institution.”

EVENTS
The OCS is having an info session on finding jobs and internships in architecture and urban planning from 4 to 5 p.m. today at 54 Dunster Street.

The Harvard Undergraduates for Human Rights in North Korea are having a "5K for NK" fundraising dinner tonight at Ticknor Lounge from 5:30 to 7 p.m. There will be a free catered Korean dinner and a presentation about the health of the North Korean population.

There's going to be a discussion about stress, depression, and disordered eating tonight from 8 to 9 p.m. in Fong Auditorium at Ticknor Lounge. There will be nachos, JP Licks, and Insomnia Cookie sandwiches!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
WALK THE MOON performs at the Sinclair to a sold-out crowd on Saturday evening. 

On CampusStudent LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.