Pro-Tips for Creating Your Blocking Group

Students discuss blocking group diversity during "Block Party," a forum sponsored by the Harvard Foundation held in Ticknor Lounge in Boylston Hall yesterday. The forum included group discussions and activities.

By Daniel E. Killeen

Even though Flyby has already given the freshmen a list of ideal blockmates, Yard-dwellers (and those foreigners in the Union Dorms) are still pulling their hair out trying to perfect blocking plans. To alleviate the stress, here’s a step-by-step guide on perfecting your blocking group.

1. Get your core group.

As long as you hit your core (abs joke), you’re all set. We’ll cover a few FAQs about this:

“Hey, Flyby, should I block with my freshman roommates?”

Dumb question. Block with people you don’t hate. If you liked your freshman roommate and don’t hate living with him/her, go for it. If not, then don’t.

“Oh. That’s interesting. What about my boyfriend/girlfriend/FWB?”

No.

“Well that was curt.”

It’s a bad idea. Do you not see all the ways that could go wrong? That’s what linking is for.

“I guess you’re right. Well I haven’t even started thinking about it yet…”

Oh, right. Because every member of the Class of 2017 didn’t know this was coming months ago. You’ve got some catching up to do.

“But how?!?”

It’s really weird, we know, but you’ve met people at Harvard. Hopefully some of those people are your friends. Worst case scenario, you have a roommate who probably has an open spot in his/her blocking group. Just have a conversation about it...like, really soon.

“Thanks, Flyby, you’re the best and we really love reading you while we bored in lecture.”

No problem, sport. And remember, one can be a blocking group. If you have no other option, you can run as a lone wolf.

2. Establish yourself as the alpha (fe)male of your core blocking group

This is very important. How do you expect the blocking group to end up the way you want it if your close friends think that they get a say in things? That would be ridiculous. Start by getting meals with your blocking group and casually demanding that they get you things from the servery. Then start making unilateral decisions about weekend plans, where to study, etc. It can’t go wrong and everyone will respect you for it.

3. Once your core group fears...um respects... you, put up flyers to attract a few “floaters”

You only have five blockmates? That won’t do. All the cool kids have eight. Lie on the flyers if you have to. Do you have a medical condition that you are sure will keep your blocking group out of the Quad? No? Say it anyway.

4. Bribery

Do you want to get Quadded or put in Mather? Start a blocking group fund, hustle over to the Office of Student Life, and start slipping some people a few Hamiltons.

So that’s that. Obviously don’t actually bribe people. And don’t actually assert your dominance in your blocking group. But definitely do make sure that you’re in a group with people that you don’t hate or think you would hate living with. One last piece of advice: don’t block with people who hate you. They may be your ideal friends, but you don’t want to be the odd Crimson out.

FreshmenHousing DayFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.