Harvard Today: February 6, 2014

Students walk through Harvard Yard during yet another fierce snowstorm on Wednesday.

It’s Thursday! For some of people who are fortunate enough not to have Friday classes (please teach us how you managed to schedule this), it means the weekend, for others it means Thirsty Thursday, but for us, it means Throwback Thursday!

On this day in history in 1978, Harvard was hit with a massive blizzard with winds up to 92 miles per hour and 8 to 16 inches of snow (and we thought we had it bad yesterday). A state of emergency was declared in Massachusetts and 8,500 National Guards were enlisted to help clean the roads. The next day, Harvard had its first snow day that lasted for three days. Snow day activities included using the steps of Widener as a ski-jump and wearing swimsuits out into the cold.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

There’s no more snow today, at least not until the weekend. There’s no chance of precipitation all day, and the high will be 27 degrees. At this point, we’re convinced all of the snow on campus will freeze over, so you’re probably better off ditching those snow boots for a pair of ice skates.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Chicken Pot Pie
Salmon with Green Curry
Tuscan Chickpeas

Dinner:
Home Made Fishcakes
Roasted Pepper Pork
Sweet and Sour Tofu

It’s Chicken and Waffles Night! You get to have breakfast for dinner–how glorious!

EVENTS

Hear from New York Times journalist Michael Kimmelman as he discusses The Politics of Public Space, a lecture on how public spaces in cities around the world are becoming hotbeds of revolution, change, and growth. Taking place at the Knafel Center (10 Garden St.) at 4 p.m.

Stop by the Carpenter Center at 6 p.m. to soak in some culture at the opening reception of Living as Form (the Nomadic Version),an exhibition of pieces in a variety of mediums which blur the line between art and everyday life.

Flyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.