Harvard Today: March 28, 2014

•

By Shunella Grace Lumas

Happy Friday! As of today, there are 1,031 new members of the Harvard community. In addition to the 992 admitted under early action, it looks like the Class of 2018 is shaping up to be a pretty solid crew. Welcome, prefrosh!

As you inevitably spend the next few weeks learning everything you can about the schools you got into, make sure you do your homework on Harvard (that’s right, homework before you even get here). Become a newfound lover of the Crimson (bonus points if you become a newfound lover of Flyby), read up on Harvard’s housing system (or at least Harvard’s housing videos), and learn about our Dean (interim Dean, but that’s okay). Or, if you already know you’re coming here, get started on the reading for the courses you’ve already decided you’ll be taking next year. Let’s be real, you probably already have. Enjoy that enthusiasm and dedication while it lasts, prefrosh. Seriously.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today’s high of 58 degrees is super exciting...until you see that it’s raining. But hey, can’t have everything right? Saturday’s weather will be pretty similar, while Sunday will dip to the 30s. One day spring will come. I hope.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Chicken and Swiss Melt on Whole Wheat Panini
Penne with Salmon and Vodka Sauce
Samosa with Tamarind Chutney

Dinner
Calamari Paella
Spanish-Style Roasted Chicken
Vegetable Paella

IN THE NEWS
1) Harvard Makes Admissions Offers to 5.9 Percent of Applicants to the Class of 2018: The regular decision admission rate was 3.1%. A total of 2,023 individuals were admitted to the class.
2) Tuition Will Increase by 3.9 Percent, Largest Percentage Increase in Seven Years: Tuition will go up by $2,200, bringing the total cost of tuition, room, board, and other fees to $58,607 for the 2014-2015 school year. Better sign up for that extra shift at Lamont Café, huh?

EVENTS
A roundup of the awesome theater that's happening this weekend! 
Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead, presented by the Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club, has performances at 7:30 p.m. tonight and tomorrow at the Adams House Pool Theatre.
Patience; or Bunthorne’s Bride, put on by the Harvard-Radcliffe Gilbert and Sullivan Players also has a show tonight at 8 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Agassiz Theatre.
SKETCH, a sketch comedy show with intro sets by the Immediate Gratification Players and On Thin Ice, is tonight at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. and Saturday at 8 p.m. at the Loeb Experimental Theater.
Finally, Emilie: La Marquise du Chatelet Defends Her Life Tonight has shows tonight at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. in the SciBox, room 302 of the Science Center.

The Institute of Politics is hosting a panel discussion called Revisiting the West Wing, featuring Bradley Whitford and Janel Moloney (aka Josh Lyman and Donna Moss) at 4 p.m. in the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum.

Considering Teach For America? Spend some time listening to the experiences of former corps members. Billed as the Teach for America Truth Tour, the corps members will discuss going into classrooms after a summer of preparation, and other solutions to education reform. The talk will take place at 4 p.m. in the PBHA Parlor Room.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Around noon on Thursday, the staff of the Harvard College Admissions office formed a human assembly line from within the office out to a waiting mail truck to mail off admissions letters. Pictured is Senior Admissions Officer David L. Evans. A late breakfast of pancakes, coffee, and well-mixed mimosas awaited the celebratory staff.

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.