Harvard Today: April 24, 2014

By Zorigoo Tugsbayar

It’s Thursday! In honor of Throwback Thursday, here are some songs from way back when (you know, when we thought Heelys were the “it” item and we all predicted who would grow up to be a good parent based on their Tamagotchi’s) to help get you to the weekend:

The graduation song of all graduation songs: We all know that we had those moments where we cried listening to Friends Forever by Vitamin C during elementary or middle school graduation. Don’t deny it.

That Disney Channel theme song we all knew: The "That’s So Raven" theme song is definitely one of those songs we all hummed to as we watched it on TV. I mean, how can anyone not be intrigued by one of Raven’s psychic visions?

That song everyone jokingly quoted: "This Is Why I’m Hot" was honestly the start of every facetious joke about why people thought they were sarcastically “hot.” This was also the anthem of every awkward high school party (but I’m assuming we all erased these pre-teen memories from our minds).

And finally...a Harvard #tbt: The Harvard Baseball team’s cover of Call Me Maybe exploded all over the internet, and it reached that point where singing the song without doing the hand motions would be sacrilegious.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

The good news is that there’ll be no rain today! It’ll be a sunny with a high of 58 degrees, but there will probably be some strong winds (PSA: don’t worry, you’re not the only one scared of bumping into the person walking in front of you).

IN THE D-HALLS

Lunch:
Meat Lasagna
Southern Style Pulled Pork Sandwich
Tuscan Chickpeas

Dinner:
Baked Cod with Lemon Mushroom Sauce
Chicken Francais
Curry Noodle Stirfry

ON FLYBY

1) A Chess Battle with Gus and Sietse: “The battlefield was set. The sun was high, the day warm with anticipation. Two armies stood in wait. Two generals prepared to unleash havoc.”

2) What Your Text Punctuation Really Means: Read about when you should use a “K.” or a question mark-less question!

IN THE NEWS

3) Ellison To Depart Harvard for Chicago This Summer: “Administrative Board Secretary John “Jay” L. Ellison, the administrator who helped oversee the adjudication of last year’s Government 1310 cheating scandal and implemented reforms to the Ad Board’s structure, will leave Harvard this summer to become the dean of students in the college at the University of Chicago.”

4) In Panel, Football All-Stars Discuss Race, Leadership, and Justice: “Pro Bowl players Arian Foster, Richard Sherman, and Larry Fitzgerald informally talked about the NCAA, philanthropy, and the ability of high-achieving African-Americans to inspire young people.”

EVENTS

The IOP is hosting an event today called Courts, Judges, and Politics from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the FDR Room at the Kennedy School. Guest speakers include James Greenfield, the New York Times editor of the Pentagon Papers, and Trevor Timm, a writer, activist and lawyer.

The IOP Special Events Committee and Students Taking on Poverty are putting on a discussion called Obamacare, Poverty, and the Future of American Healthcare today at 6 p.m. in Emerson 305. Stop by for the free pizza from Pinocchio’s!

The Harvard Happiness Project is having a study break tonight from 8 to 10 p.m. in the Winthrop JCR! Activities include mini golf, bowling, and Wii Games– but most importantly, there’s free food from Insomnia, b.good, and Domino’s!

The Kidney Disease Screening and Awareness Program is also having a study break tonight at 8 p.m. in Boylston Hall 105. There will be free pad thai, how glorious!

PHOTO OF THE DAY

The full panel on Race and Justice included from left to right: Richard K. Sherman, Seattle Seahawks cornerback, Arian I. Foster, Houston Texas running back, Larry D. Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals Receiver, and Domonique Foxworth, former NFL Players Association president and current Harvard MBA candidate.

Student LifeFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.