Harvard Today: April 29, 2014

•

By Tiana A Abdulmassih

Happy Tuesday, Harvard! Hopefully your week is off to a decent start! Tuesdays are usually a random day of the week that don't have anything super unique to offer, coming after the dreaded Monday, before hump day Wednesday. But this Tuesday is basically a Thursday, as Wednesday is basically Friday, because reading period starts Thursday. Do you follow? If that confused you, good luck with your finals.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today will be even colder than yesterday, with a “high” of 46 and a 20% chance of rain. Hard to remember it’s almost May.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Chorizo and Cornbread Crusted Cod (sometimes alliteration goes too far…)
Pepperoni Pizza
Greek Pizza on Multigrain Crust

Dinner
Chicken Stroganoff
Salmon Puttanesca
Multigrain Rotini Primavera with Kidney Beans

ON FLYBY
“More Grapes on Pizza”, HUDS Comment Cards: Have you ever read the notes on the Feedback forms in the d-halls? If not, Flyby’s got you covered.

IN THE NEWS
1) During Visitas, Student Groups Stage Protests on Race, Sexual Assault: “In efforts to raise awareness about campus issues, representatives from both The Diversity Report, a coalition of students of color, and Our Harvard Can Do Better, a campaign to change Harvard’s sexual assault policies, staged demonstrations throughout Visitas weekend.”

2) Sign Language Referendum Passes Easily Amid Low Voter Turnout: “Undergraduates voted last week overwhelmingly in favor of supporting the reintroduction of American sign language courses for credit at the College, though just 18.5 percent of students voted on the referendum, which was the Undergraduate Council’s only one this term. The referendum, garnered 1,135 affirmative votes—92 percent of the votes cast. However, the Council still must vote to take an official stance on the subject, since voter participation was well below 50 percent of the total number of undergraduates.”

3) Students Organize International “Mobs” to Raise Awareness of Malaria: The giant flash mob last Friday afternoon was part of an international campaign to publicize Global Malaria Day.

EVENTS
The Harvard Political Union is holding a discussion with Professor Ruth Wisse on Harvard faculty diversity. Stop by room L166 at the Institute of Politics in the Kennedy School for what is sure to be an interesting talk!

The Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study is hosting a lecture by Berkeley history Professor Thomas W. Lacquer titled “Why Do We Care for the Dead?” Taking place in the Knafel Center (10 Garden Street) at 4 p.m., Professor Lacquer’s lecture will look to historical and anthropological cases to investigate this question.

The Harvard Graduate School of Education has organized a panel on Urban Neighborhoods and the Persistence of Urban Inequality at 5:30 p.m. in Longfellow Hall (13 Appian Way). The panelists, who include Patrick Starkey of NYU’s sociology department, Richard Rothstein of the Berkeley School of Law, and William Julius Wilson of the Kennedy School, will examine how urban policies and transformative changes in urban communities may truly help break down racial inequalities.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Employees of the DoubleTree Hotel in Cambridge and supporters stand in solidarity during the Cambridge City Council Meeting on April 28. The Council announced its endorsement of the DoubleTree workers' boycott for better wages, healthcare, and general respect from the hotel.

Flyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.