Harvard Today: September 18, 2014

By Madeline R. Lear

Happy Thursday! We all know that today is Throwback Thursday, and is our favorite day to receive social media validation on Facebook and/ or Instagram! If you’re considering uploading a photo today with a #tbt, read below for some (self-proclaimed) sage advice on sharing that photo with all your virtual fans!

Which photo should you #tbt today?

a) That baby pic: You think you were a cute baby back in the day and you want everyone else to know it too. You also want everyone to know that you used to shamelessly rock turtlenecks, denim overalls, and just about anything else you would feel extremely self-conscious wearing today.

b) A picture with your family: This one has mixed motives—you obviously miss your family, which is really cute, but it may also be a pointed reminder to your family that you’re coming home soon and expect royal treatment (home-cooked meals and a fix to the unfortunate state of your personal finances at the moment).

c) A picture with your high school friends: You’re annoyed that your best friends from home seem to be having a blast or are busy with their lives while you’re not because they’re not replying to your late-night texts that say things like “Urgent: should I go to sleep right now and fight off my hunger or should I make the trek to CVS to buy gummy worms?” This is a really cute way of telling them that you’re thinking about them, but also a very effective passive-aggressive statement.

d) An artsy picture of somewhere foreign you visited this past summer: Posting this picture satisfies your inner desire to be a hipster and also earns you a couple of artsy points from your social media audience—I mean, you just added about ten different filters to the picture, which totally makes it hip, right?!?

e) A picture of you and your blockmates either before or at a party: Your subtle way of telling them that the weekend starts tomorrow and they need to accompany you as you plan on getting drunk, dancing to bad pop songs, going to the Kong, and passing out on your bedroom floor all in one night.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
It’s another day of great weather today! There’s a zero percent chance of rain and it’ll be a high of 74 degrees. We could tell you again to take advantage of the sun, but we also won’t judge if you just want to sit in your bed and watch Netflix (some people appreciate the nice weather by taking a jog along the river, but you can also be equally appreciative from your windowsill, right?).

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Chicken Fingers
Pepperoni Pizza
Black Bean Cake
Curly French Fries (why are curly fries ten times more tempting than normal fries?)

Dinner:
Cajun Salmon
Orange Beef Stir Fry
Vegetable Dumplings

ON FLYBY
1) Water Pressure, Nutella, and Condoms for All: Class of 2018 Runs for the UC: How proud must he have been when he when he came up with this?: “I’ll tirelessly thrust for making condoms available in each entryway.” - Samarth Gupta ‘18, Elm Yard

IN THE NEWS
1) Public Figures Reflect on Policing, Media during Ferguson Unrest: In the wake of the conflict in Ferguson, Mo. this summer, police departments need to work even harder to build trust with their local communities, panelists at a John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum event said Wednesday. The event, entitled “Reflections on Ferguson,” was moderated by Law School professor Charles J. Ogletree and featured panelists who included a former police chief, a current mayor, a reverend, and a Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist.

2) Math Professor Wins "Genius Grant": Mathematics professor Jacob A. Lurie ’00 was named a recipient of the MacArthur Fellowship, a prize commonly referred to as the “Genius Grant,” Wednesday, making us feel even less smart.

3) Two Charged for Robbery of Harvard Employee: Cambridge Police arrested two men last week who were responsible for the armed robbery of a Harvard employee on Church Street in August.

EVENTS
The Harvard Cancer Society is holding a fundraiser for Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer today and tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Science Center Plaza! Buy lemonade and cookies to support research for childhood cancer!

The OCS is having an Alumni Connections lunch today at 54 Dunster Street from 12 to 2 p.m., where you can talk to featured alumni about a variety of career areas! Register for this event online at Crimson Careers.

The Harvard South Asian Association is holding a Bone Marrow Registration from 2 to 5 p.m. today and tomorrow at Memorial Lawn just outside of Annenberg! All you have to do is fill out some brief paperwork and get a cheek swab– you're signing up for a great cause and you can also get free food!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Freshmen pose for a photo booth at CS50 Puzzle Day on September 6, 2014. Prof. David J. Malan later posted the photo booth pictures on Facebook.

Student LifeFlyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.