Harvard Today: September 19, 2014

•
By Robert F Worley

Good morning Harvard! I’m sure everyone is breathing a sigh of relief that it’s finally Friday. With sections, labs, p-sets, and even midterms (thanks, Ec1010a) in aggressively full force, this week reminded us that school has really begun. And not just school, but everything else too: application deadlines, comp kick-offs, punch season, fall. We’ve seen computer screens displaying Google form after Google form and watched masses of freshmen trek to the IOP, the Crimson, and more. We’ve counted the number of sealed envelopes slipped under our doors, and checked out all the boys in salmon pants and blue blazers anxiously waiting outside the buildings on Mt. Auburn St. We’ve finally started putting away our shorts and tank tops and pulling on our sweaters. In short, it’s been a lot. We hope you have a chance to take a breath and step back from it all this weekend...before doing it all again next week. Yay college!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
After a pleasant past few days, tomorrow’s going to get a little chilly, with a high of 58 degrees and a low of 45. In case you didn’t do the math, that’s only 13 degrees above freezing. It’s pretty classic New England to get so cold, so fast, but the best part of it all is that the temperature’s going to swing back up to a sultry 82 degrees on Sunday. So basically, you should leave your room every morning prepared for everything from a beach trip to a rainstorm to a September snowstorm. Good luck.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Crispy Flounder with Daikon Sauce
Chickpeas with Garlic and Lemon
Jamaican Jerk Tofu

Dinner
Baked Meatloaf
Home Made Fish Cakes
Multigrain Rotini Primavera with Kidney Beans

ON FLYBY
1) Where is Pfister, and What is He Reading?: Two very important questions. Don’t worry, Flyby’s got you covered.

2) This, Too, is CS 50: Hey kids, if you don’t like to read, check out this creative photo essay inspired by FM’s coverage of the most popular class at Harvard.

IN THE NEWS
1) Friends, Family Remember Rue ‘17 Through Her Own Words: Friends and family of Haley A. Rue ’17, who died this summer while traveling in Germany, packed Memorial Church and Annenberg Hall on Thursday night for an evening in memoriam. Between verses of scripture, hymns, and remembrances, Rue’s own writing emerged as the focal point of the service.

2) HUDS Updates Saturday Breakfast Service: Responding to student feedback, Harvard University Dining Services will now serve a heartier breakfast on Saturday mornings before brunch, according to an email announcement sent out on Thursday.

3) Alumna to Pilot Beauty Start-Up at Harvard: Ownly, a peer-to-peer beauty network founded by Danni Xie ’13, will launch a pilot program at Harvard in October. The startup, which aims to connect college women in need of cosmetic services to student artists on campus, was chosen as one of six winners in the Harvard College Innovation Challenge in April.

EVENTS: WEEKEND EDITION
Three events this weekend focus on fighting cancer! Stop by to support the cause and to start your weekend off with some good karma:

1) The Harvard Cancer Society is holding a fundraiser for Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer today from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.in the Science Center Plaza! Buy lemonade and cookies to support research for childhood cancer!

2) The Harvard South Asian Association is holding a Bone Marrow Donor Registration from 2 to 5 p.m. today just outside of Annenberg! All you have to do is fill out some brief paperwork and get a cheek swab– you're signing up for a great cause and there’ll be free ice cream!

3) The 44th annual Evening with Champions will take place at 8 p.m. tonight and 7 p.m. tomorrow at the Bright Hockey Center (79 North Harvard St). The shows will feature world-class ice skaters performing everything from triple axels to layback spins to support the Jimmy Fund, the fundraising arm of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Tonight is the football team’s home opener. Head over to Harvard Stadium at 7 p.m. to cheer on the Crimson as they take on Holy Cross. Tickets are free with HUID.

If football isn’t your thing, you can head over to the ceramics studio for Clay All Night! The newly built ceramics studio (224 Western Ave) will open its doors to all undergrads tonight between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m. to try out wheel throwing, hand sculpture, and other ceramics projects. Shuttles leave from the Mt. Auburn side of the the Holyoke center every half an hour starting at 9.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
British and non-British students congregate to watch the referendum results on Scottish independence in the Leverett Senior Common Room. Millions of Scottish citizens went to the polls on Thursday, September 18, 2018 to determine the future of Scotland and Great Britain. In case you haven't heard, they decided to stay together.

Flyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.