Harvard Today: September 2, 2014

By George J Lok

Welcome back to campus and happy first day of classes! Whether your room is still full of unopened Collegeboxes or you’ve already done the reading for next week’s lecture, we’re sure you’ll re-adjust to d-hall food, p-sets, and the Shuttle Tracker (for all those quadlings) in no time.

As shopping week begins, here are Flyby’s tips on making it to Study Card Day effortlessly:

1) If you’re conflicted between two classes, take the one that has cuter TFs so you’ll be much more motivated to flirt your way to that A.

2) Avoid all p-set classes—who has time for that?

3) Make sure all your classes are in the same building. You’ll thank us for this in December.

4) PSA for those in the quad: CS50 office hours are now in Mather. Happy commuting!

5) Don’t take Social Studies 10a.

By the way, special shoutout to the Class of 2018! We hope you’ll learn to love this place as we do! By the way, keep on rocking those crimson lanyards.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Tomorrow’s high is 91 degrees with a 40 percent chance of rain, including thunderstorms later in the day. Thanks Boston, we missed you too.

IN THE D-HALLS

Lunch:

Multigrain Penne Bolognese
Falafel Sandwich
Swai with Lime, Cilantro, and Jalapeno (in case you missed it)

Dinner:

Cider Steamed Mussels
Meat Lasagna
Mushroom Basil Potato Au Gratin

ON FLYBY

Back to School Solicitations from Dev A. Patel ‘16 and Steven S. Lee ‘16: Ask away to your heart’s content about all those back-to-school concerns that keep you up at night.

IN THE NEWS

Black Students Raise Hands in Solidarity with Slain Mo. Teen: Over 200 students gathered on Widener Steps and posed with their hands up for a group photograph Sunday evening, entering a national conversation spurred by a police officer’s killing of an unarmed black teenager three weeks ago in Ferguson, Missouri.

ICYMI (aka, in case you are an upperclassman): Dean Khurana’s speech at Class of 2018 Convocation

EVENTS

The Farmer’s Market is back! Visit the Science Center Plaza anytime between 12 and 6 p.m. to check out some great local produce!

The university is revising its policy on sexual misconduct and is looking for student feedback. Come to Emerson 105 at 5 p.m. to share your thoughts with Harvard’s Title IX coordinators.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Nearly 200 black Harvard affiliates posed with their hands up for a group photograph on the steps of Widener Library Sunday evening in solidarity with Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager killed three weeks ago in Ferguson, Missouri.

Student LifeFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.