Harvard Today: October 9, 2015

Supporters of Bernie Sanders participate in the rally at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.
Supporters of Bernie Sanders participate in the rally at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. By Lauren A. Sierra

Hi Harvard, it’s Friday and the long weekend has officially begun. Fun fact of the day: this day actually did not exist in 1582 because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar in Italy, Poland, Portugal, and Spain. How weird is that?

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s going to be raining today, but with highs of 73 and lows of 44, at least it won’t be too cold.

IN THE D-HALL
Lunch:
Lemon Crusted Catch of the Day
Popcorn Chicken
Vegan Meatball Sub

Dinner:
Roasted Perch with Mango Chutney
Za’atar Roasted Chicken Drumstick
Spanish Pisto Manchego
Biryani Rice

ON FLYBY

Avian Adventures: The Turkey is Back
It’s officially that time of the year: the Harvard Square turkey is out on the streets once again. This is big news.

#UberMentor: From Mentors to McDonald’s
Moral of the story: If at first you don’t succeed, UberX to McDonald’s.

IN THE NEWS

The Harvard Condition
While nearly all Harvard students have found themselves reeling under pressure at one time or another, the manifestations of mental distress vary in severity. For some students, this sense of helplessness leads to a discrepancy between how they present themselves and how they really feel, a divide often widest for those who arrive on campus with a history of mental health struggles.

Green Transportation Event Showcases Sustainability Efforts
On Thursday afternoon, transportation companies and Harvard organizations gathered in the Science Center Plaza to showcase options for sustainable travel in Cambridge. The event was organized by CommuterChoice, a Harvard program that provides information for Harvard affiliates about commuting options and planning.

Historian Niall Ferguson Will Leave Harvard for Stanford
Harvard History professor and famed Henry Kissinger biographer Niall C. Ferguson will leave Cambridge for Stanford’s Hoover Institution after 12 years, following several other of Harvard’s esteemed academics in moves out West.

EVENTS: WEEKEND EDITION

Today, Cafe Gato Rojo is holding an open mic night in the basement of Lehman Hall from 7-9 p.m.

Today, the MIT 2018 Class Council and Harvard FYSC 2018 are holding “Straight Outta Cambridge” on MIT’s campus from 6-9 p.m.

Today, the MIT Chinese Students' Club and the Harvard-Radcliffe Chinese Students Association is holding Utopia: Party Cruise at the World Trade Center from 7:45-10 p.m.

Today, the Harvard College Health Advocacy Program is holding a Life Is Good Party in Ticknor Lounge from 8-10 p.m.

Today, Harvard College women’s groups are collaboratively hosting [BLANK] Party in the Science Center Tent from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.

On Saturday, the Lighthouse Keepers and the Intrinsics will be performing in Dunster Courtyard at 1:30 p.m.

On Saturday, Pfoho is holding the 90’s Dance from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.