Harvard Today: November 5, 2015

‱
Harvard Republican Club members Cameron K. Khansarinia ’18 and former Crimson business associate Gwendolyn R. Thomas ’17 prepare for an immigration debate between the college Republican and Democrat student groups on Wednesday night. Debaters responded to a resolution on an expedited path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
Harvard Republican Club members Cameron K. Khansarinia ’18 and former Crimson business associate Gwendolyn R. Thomas ’17 prepare for an immigration debate between the college Republican and Democrat student groups on Wednesday night. Debaters responded to a resolution on an expedited path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. By Sidni M. Frederick

On November 5, 1939, Parker Brothers introduced Monopoly to the world, and family game night has never been the same.

IN THE DHALLS

Lunch:
Teriyaki Chicken with Scallions and Garlic
Grilled Cheddar Sandwich with Tomato and Red Onion

Dinner:
Community Night — Diced Pork
Spanish Style Roasted Chicken
Succotash with Edamame

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Shockingly, it’s going to be another beautiful day in Cambridge. 70Âș and mostly sunny (at least until the sun sets before dinner).

ON FLYBY

How To: First-Year Faculty Dinner
Hey, freshmen– we're looking at you.

Flyby Winter Survival Guide
Cold weather is here, it'll probably stay forever, we love to complain about it– here are some tips to survive it.

A Review of El Jefe's Taqueria
We all have wondered whether or not we should step every time we walk by it– well, we have the verdict.

ON FM

Body Talk
While discussions about mental health often occur at Harvard today, many students say issues around body image and eating disorders remain in the shadows. Those affected suffer, for the most part, quietly and unsure of whom to turn to for help.

Halloween Organ Recital
My second trip to the annual recital by the Harvard Organ Society, this year held on October 29, did not fail to put me in the Halloween mood.

Roofs and Tunnels
The tunnels may be Harvard’s biggest mystery, but for a select few adventurers, they can exist as more than just rumor.

IN THE NEWS

Council Votes To ‘Support’ Students Involved in Union Effort
After a divided discussion on Wednesday, the Graduate Student Council ultimately voted to stand in support of Harvard graduate students involved in an effort to unionize.

Gates To Establish Genealogy Summer Camp With Grant
Gates’s love of the subject led him to establish a genealogy and genetics summer camp for middle school children, for which he recently received a $335,000 grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Gates also won a $304,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to develop college-level courses in biology with a focus on genealogy and genetics, according to the Associated Press.

Students and Faculty Weigh Options for Gen Ed Overhaul
Following Tuesday’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences discussion about the future of the College’s General Education program, faculty members and undergraduates continued the conversation on Wednesday at the last Committee on Undergraduate Education meeting of the semester.

Ferguson Discusses Politics and Kissinger Biography
Ferguson, who published the first volume of a biography on the former secretary of state in September, said last month that he will leave Harvard for Stanford’s Hoover Institution after what he said has been “12 wonderful years.” He plans to continue working on a second biographical volume on Kissinger as he moves to California.

Architects Update Plans For Winthrop Renewal Addition
Architects in charge of the upcoming renovation of Winthrop House have tweaked their construction plans so that a five-story addition will closer resemble the rest of the Neo-Georgian residence, rather than be built in the more contemporary style as previously planned.

EVENTS

Gallery Talk — Lynette Roth will be discussing Shahryar Nashat’s works in the Art Museum at 12:30 p.m.

Global Health, Humanitarian, & Human Rights Fair — Stop by the OCS between 4 and 6 p.m. to learn about various opportunities in the field.

How Nature Can Save Us — M. Sanjayan will be speaking at the Museum of Natural History at 6 p.m.

The 2016 Yardfest Survey closes tonight — make sure you vote (for Fetty Wap)!

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.