Harvard Today: February 13, 2015

By Madeline R. Lear

Happy Friday, Harvard, and happy Valentine’s Day weekend! Whether you have a special someone or you plan on cuddling with your textbooks, at least it’s a three day weekend. And, hey, DataMatch supposedly has your back. But if not, you could try the Sam Clark method of finding a Valentine (although we can’t promise it will be as successful for you as it was for him).

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
The good news: it’s supposed to be sunny all day with a 0% chance of snow. The bad news: with windchill, the warmest it’s going to be all day is -3º.

IN THE D-HALL
Lunch:
Catch of the Day
Cuban Pork Sandwich
Winter Vegetable Stew

Dinner:
Feijoada
Sao Paulo Style Shrimp
Vegetarian Feijoada

ON FLYBY:

1) How to Waste Away Your Snow Day: We’re probably all experts on this by now.

IN THE NEWS: 
1) Garber Discusses Transparency Between Faculty and Administration at Meeting:
 “University Provost Alan M. Garber ’76 attended a meeting of the Faculty Council—the Faculty of Arts and Sciences’ highest elected body—Wednesday to discuss administrative transparency with faculty, pledging to meet with the body once a semester.”

2) HONY Creator Talks Challenges, Growth of Project“Reflecting on his ‘twenty-first century’ rise from unemployed bond trader to viral blogger, Brandon Stanton—founder of the popular online photo series “Humans of New York”—spoke to a packed audience at the Institute of Politics on Wednesday.”

3) Protesters Occupy Mass. Hall Demanding Divestment: “Roughly 40 students demanding that Harvard divest from fossil fuels occupied Massachusetts Hall, home to the office of University President Drew G. Faust, at about 10 a.m. Thursday.”

ON SPORTS:
1) Queens of Boston: Women's Ice Hockey Downs BC For First Beanpot Title Since 2010
“The championship of the 37th annual Women’s Beanpot was a battle of top-ranked teams. Boston College, which entered the game atop Hockey East and the NCAA national rankings, travelled across town to take on ECAC-leading Harvard to see which Beantown team deserved the city crown.”

EVENTS: WEEKEND EDITION
Men’s Auditions for the Opportunes
— The Opportunes are looking for guys to join them this spring. 10 minute auditions in Lowell Lecture Hall room B-15 from 2-4 p.m. and 6-8 p.m.

IGP Comedy Festival — IGP is hosting a comedy festival entitled “Okay, Cupid…” with improv troupes both from other schools and from the Upright Citizens Brigade. They have shows at 7 and 9pm Friday and Saturday in the Loeb Experimental Theatre.

Love is in the Scare — Freshmen, make sure to check out this Valentine’s Day/Friday the 13th crossover celebration. The FYSC is screening Easy A and Strangers at 8pm in the Science Center tonight. There will also be food, prizes, and a photobooth!

[Title of Show] — As described by the producers, this is “a musical about two guys writing a musical about two guys writing a musical.” Showing in the Adams Pool Theatre at 8pm Friday, and 2pm and 8pm Saturday and Sunday.

Harvard Band Serenade — From 10-11:30am on Saturday, the Band will perform for your significant other. Contact gianinavalerieyumul@college.harvard.edu for the list of songs they can perform and for more details.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Benjamin D. Sorscher '18 ushers in Henney H. Sullivan '15 into Massachusetts Hall as student group Divest Harvard stages a protest calling for the divestment of fossil fuels on Feb. 12.

Student LifeFlyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.