Harvard Today: February 24, 2015

•

Happy Tuesday! Congratulations on surviving one of the first Mondays of the semester. Doesn’t it feel great to return to the two-day weekend? Yeah, we didn’t think so. But you’ll be thankful for these classes once the midterms roll around -- yes, it’s midterm season already! Aren’t you glad you used all those long weekends and snow days for studying?

By Daniel N. Yue

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Sick of the cold? Well that’s too bad. Today we will be experiencing frigid highs of 19 degrees and chilly lows of 13 degrees. At least it’s not snowing, right? Until this weekend, that is.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch

Sausage Pizza

Smoked Turkey Panini on Wheat Flatbread

Seitan Fajitas

Dinner

Teriyaki Chicken with Scallions and Garlic

Portobello Lentil Pattie with Tomato Basil Salsa

Barley Risotto

ON FLYBY

1) 8 Simple Steps to Achieve SnapFame: Having trouble getting yourself on the Harvard Campus Story? Take our advice!

IN THE NEWS

1) Deval Patrick Named 2015 Commencement Speaker: “Former Massachusetts Governor Deval L. Patrick ’78 will speak at Harvard’s 364th Commencement on May 28, the University announced on Monday.”

2) Harvard Makes Final Touches on Sexual Assault Climate Survey: “After January pre-testing, Harvard is making final touches on its sexual assault climate survey and—given that similar surveys have historically drawn lackluster response rates—plans to heavily publicize it before rolling it out in April.”

3) Melting Snow Prompts Writing Center to Relocate Offices: “After a series of winter storms, water damage to the Barker Center basement caused by melting ice and snow has prompted the Harvard College Writing Center to relocate its offices temporarily.”

4) Asian American Students Discuss Intersectionality at Conference: “The Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Association hosted the East Coast Asian American Student Union annual conference this weekend, the largest Asian American student conference in the United States with over 1,200 students participating this year.”

IN THE ARTS

1) ‘Fifty Shades’ Monochromatic: “If ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ were only half its current length, it might actually be a decent laugh for people who are good at entertaining themselves. Unfortunately, the film as it is right now is for the most part two hours of boredom with unbelievable characters and a repetitive, predictable plot. More painful than anything that the characters have done in this film is the thought that it is only the first movie of a trilogy.”

2) Hear Me Out: ‘The Blacker the Berry’: ““The Blacker the Berry,” then, is not only a well-composed track dealing with a significant societal ill—it is also uniquely intelligent. If this and “i” are an accurate representation of the album to come, Lamar’s third release may even surpass the considerable success of “good kid, m.A.A.d. city.”

EVENTS

Today the IOP will be hosting an event Breaking Ground: Running as the ‘First’ in your Community featuring Christine Quinn, the spring 2015 fellow, and Deborah Glick, New York State Assemblywoman and the first openly LGBT official elected in New York State. This event will be in room L166 of the Harvard Kennedy School from 4-5:30 pm.

The Center for Middle Eastern Studies is presenting a screening of “It’s Better to Jump” and a Q&A with the filmmaker at the CGIS Knafel Building, Room S020, from 4-6 pm.

Today HRiNK will be hosting a panel with WOORIHANA, a sister organization of North Korea Strategy Center, NK Information Highway: Driving Change in North Korea (A Student-Defector Dialogue), featuring a Q&A and networking session with three North Korean defectors. This event is from 5:30-7:30 at the Fong Auditorium in Boylston Hall.

The John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum is hosting A Conversation with the Honorable Tarja Halonen featuring Tarja Halonen, the President of Finland (2000-2012) and Angelopoulos Global Public leaders Fellow, today at 6 pm.

The Harvard Bookstore welcomes travel writer and author Michael Meyer for a discussion of his latest book, In Manchuria: A Village Called Wasteland and the Transformation of Rural China at 7 pm.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.