Harvard Today: March 11, 2015

•

Happy Wednesday, Harvard, and happy Housing Day Eve! Wearing your pajamas inside out isn’t going to appease the River Gods (and turns out River Run probably won’t either; it’ll just get you UHS’ed or stopped by HUPD), so just try not to be those kids that cry when they get the quad. If you’re anything like us, the anticipation is the worst part, so hopefully your midterms go smoothly and before you know it, it’ll be Housing Day!! May the odds be ever in your favor!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s going to break 50º by midday! It’s almost like this whole nasty “winter” mess never happened. And it’s going to be sunny for at least part of the day, so you might as well break out the bathing suit and get started on your SB2k15 tan early.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Roasted Honey Lime Chicken

Turkey Rachel Sandwich

Spicy Potato Pierogies

Dinner:

Beef Meatballs in Marinara Sauce

Mesquite Rotisserie Chicken

Vegan “Meat”balls

ON FLYBY

1) The Housing Market 2015: River West, Square, and Quad Houses are up!

IN THE NEWS

1) UC Leaders Propose Sponsorship for Public Service Internships to Khurana — “Undergraduate Council President Ava Nasrollahzadeh ’16 and UC Vice President Dhruv P. Goyal ’16 proposed a funding initiative to sponsor students pursuing public service opportunities to Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana in a meeting Friday.”

2) From Entryways to Extracurriculars — “When Mattea Mrkusic ’16 transferred to Harvard last fall from the University of Melbourne, she instantly noticed the similarities in their residential systems—and their differences.”

3) Learning with Heritage Speakers, Non-Native Language Students Face Challenges — “Kirsi Anselmi-Stith ’18 hails from Rock Springs, Wyoming—a far cry from the Middle East. But when she walks into her introductory Arabic class every day, she finds herself next to students from that very region who have spent their whole lives speaking the language, so-called heritage speakers who she says can create an unbalanced learning environment.”

4) New HUDS Initiative Donates Leftover Food to Local Organizations — “Harvard University Dining Services has recently entered into a partnership to give up to 2,500 pounds of excess food from dining halls to local community organizations each week.”

EVENTS

The Revolution Wasn’t Televised — Matt Lira’s study group will be meeting in the IOP’s Faculty Dining Room at 4 p.m. to discuss how changes in mass communication have influenced campaign tactics.

Investing in Higher Education to Maintain a Competitive Edge — Senator Kay Hagan and guest Dr. Arati Prabhakar of DARPA will be discussing the US’s need for educational investments, especially in STEM fields, to meet the nation’s security needs. 4 p.m. in IOP Room L166.

Algorithms Bootcamp — Harvard Computer Society will be teaching efficient coding at their Intro to Algorithms Bootcamp at 5pm in Emerson 305.

Selma — The IOP JFK Jr. Forum will be screening Selma at 6 p.m.

Marathon Reading of Don Quixote — Come to the Barker Center Cafe at 7 p.m. to celebrate 400th anniversary of the publication of Part II of Cervantes' Don Quixote. Select a passage to read to the group.

New Kids on the Block — The FYSC is hosting the freshman class in Annenberg from 9 p.m. to midnight to celebrate the last night before housing day. There will be a hypnotist performing from 9-10:30 followed by food, a photobooth, and a time capsule.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.