Harvard Today: March 27, 2015

Esther Jeon '18 rolls cookie dough at the Wellness Study Break on Thursday evening. Students flowed into the Harvard College Women’s Center to drink smoothies and receive massages from Stressbusters.

By Alvin Wei

Happy Friday, Harvard! We made it through the first (worst) week back! It’s that time of year when people get stuck in the mid-semester funk, so protect yourself from the monotony by switching up your routine! Find a new library to study in or d-hall to eat in. Who knows, you may even find your new pset partner/soulmate! (Hint hint— fill out Flyby Matchmaker)

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Don’t put away your umbrella just yet— it’s going to rain until mid afternoon today. At least it’s still warm enough for the precipitation to be rain.

IN THE D-HALL
Lunch:

Catch of the Day

Chicken and Swiss Melt on Whole Wheat Panini

Tamale Pie

Dinner:

Calamari Paella

Spanish-Style Roasted Chicken

Vegetable Paella

ON FLYBY

1) How Many Harvard Students Does It Take to Spell "Sustainability"?: Why is everyone on campus searching ‘sustainability’ on dictionary.com?

2) Harvard Bands Prepare to Battle for Yardfest: Battle of the Bands is tonight at 7 p.m. in the Queen’s Head Pub!

3) Five Questions You've Got About Jessie J, Answered: Like what does the J stand for?

IN THE NEWS

1) Graduate Students Await Columbia Unionization Ruling: “As the New York regional office of the National Labor Relations Board will hold a hearing on March 31 on whether graduate students at Columbia have the right to form a union, graduate students at Harvard say a ruling in favor of unionization rights might prompt interest in a similar movement in Cambridge.”

2) SEAS and Design School Plan Joint Master’s Program: “The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Graduate School of Design are planning to launch a joint master’s degree program in engineering design, according to three professors involved in the project.”

3) Committee Considers More Options for 2016 Health Benefits: “The University Benefits Committee is actively considering offering an increased number and variety of health benefits options for non-union employees next year, including a plan that looks similar to the one offered in 2014 with increased premiums, according to committee members.”

4) Design School Campaign Passes 60 Percent of Goal: “The Graduate School of Design has raised a little more than $1 million since the public launch of its fundraising efforts last September, when it had raised $69 million during its quiet phase, according to Theresa A. Lund, the managing director of the GSD Dean's Office.”

5) Moore, Nelson Named to Board of Overseers Leadership: “Karen Nelson Moore ’70, a federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, will lead the Harvard Board of Overseers—the University’s second-highest governing body—as its new president for the 2015-2016 academic year, the University announced on Thursday.”

ON SPORTS

1) Men's Hockey to Face Nebraska-Omaha in NCAA Tournament Opener: “For three weeks, the No. 10/8 Harvard men’s hockey team had only one goal: win the ECAC Men’s Hockey Tournament to guarantee a spot in the NCAA Tournament. And, with wins over No. 11/11 Quinnipiac and Colgate in Lake Placid last weekend, the Crimson finally did just that.”

EVENTS

END7 Info Session — Learn about getting involved with END7, a campaign to eliminate the seven most common neglected tropical diseases by 2020. Boylston 104 at 1 p.m.

Battle for Yardfest — From 7-10 p.m. at Queen’s Head, come support the students competing to perform at Yardfest! After the 5 bands perform, you get the opportunity to vote on your favorites.

Speak Out Loud Workshop — Speak Out Loud is hosting a poetry workshop at 8 p.m. in Grays Basement Classroom 2. This is an opportunity to share, listen to, or write poetry.

Harvard Pakistan Forum — The second annual conference discussion the future of Pakistan is taking place Saturday and Sunday. For more specific information on speakers and tickets visit harvardpakforum.com

Girls Impact the World Film Festival Awards — Come to Science Center D at 6 p.m. Saturday to watch films from the Girls Impact the World Film Festival and hear speakers discuss engaging students for global social change. The dresscode is “smart casual.” Reserve your free tickets at https://connecther.ticketbud.com/girls-impact-the-world-film-festival-2015.

YHI Music Festival — On Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the SOCH, the Harvard Square Homeless Shelter and PBHA are hosting a benefit concert for the youth homeless shelter that is about to be built in Cambridge. Get tickets at the Harvard Box Office.

Fabulous 40 — The Radcliffe Pitches are celebrating their 40th anniversary with a concert in Sanders at 8 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $12 at the box office.

Modern Jamily — The Opportunes are hosting a jam with with groups from Berklee and Cambridge Rindge and Latin School on Sunday at 2 p.m. in Sanders. Tickets are $10 at the box office.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.