Harvard Today: April 10, 2015

Students brave spring showers as they trudge towards the Dunster dining hall in the former Inn at Harvard.

By Anneli L. Tostar

It’s Friday! That’s right, we made it. Congratulations! Celebrate your survival of this week with this little-known holiday: National Cinnamon Crescent Day! Did you need an excuse to reward yourself for finishing all your psets and essays (okay, maybe not all of them…)? Go ahead and buy yourself a cinnamon roll from Starbucks, Au Bon Pain, or, if you’ve just woken up from a long night in Lamont, LamCaf!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Didn’t have enough fun in the rain yesterday? Good news! It will be raining all day today as well. But with highs of 59 degrees and lows of 49 degrees, the temperature is finally beginning to pick up. As a matter of fact, this coming weekend is looking pretty good too -- not only will the rain stop, but temperatures are supposed to hit 67 degrees on Sunday! Spring has sprung -- for real, this time (I hope)!

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Catch of the Day

Pesto Roasted Chicken with Basil Pesto

Seitan Tostados

Dinner:

Caribbean Jerk Chicken

Spicy Curried Mussels

Roasted Jamaican Tofu

IN FLYBY

1) We Now Have New Emojis: Important update: we now have emojis of different races, as well as same-sex couples and families!

2) What’s Going on with the Bureau of Study Counsel?: Great news! The BSC is now being more engaged with students, as well as more responsive to student feedback.

IN THE NEWS

1) Scientists Discuss Health, Campus Sustainability: “Scientist and public health advocate Arlene D. Blum discussed her research and advocacy work surrounding “harmful” chemicals found in consumer products and how that work relates to campus sustainability in an event hosted by the Harvard Office for Sustainability Thursday afternoon.”

2) University Prepares to Launch Sexual Conduct Climate Survey: “As Harvard prepares to launch a sexual conduct climate survey on April 12, administrators are emphasizing the confidentiality of the poll and are executing an aggressive publicity push to draw respondents.”

3) College Stalls Plans for Ad Board Database Meant To Increase Transparency: “When administrators first promised in 2010 to distill and publish a database with more detailed information about case decisions made by the College’s primary disciplinary board, they said they wanted to increase transparency of a body that students often perceive as opaque.”

4) Students Try Their Luck in House Rooming Lotteries: “With House rooming lotteries underway, some upperclassmen said they find the process of room selection to be both a source of stress and an exciting opportunity to improve their housing prospects for the coming year.”

5) Newly Elected Graduate Student Leaders Back Unionization: “Newly elected members of the Graduate Student Council declared Wednesday night their support for an effort by graduate students to unionize, just three days after The Crimson first reported the early stages of the movement. The GSC has not officially backed the efforts.”

EVENTS

Today the JFK Jr. Forum is hosting Using Art for Social Change at 4 p.m., featuring Chrisette Michele American, Grammy Award-winning R&B and Soul Singer-Songwriter, and Clint Smith Poet, Author, PhD Ed. Candidate, Harvard University, as well as moderator Karen Jackson-Weaver, the Dean for Degree Programs & Student Affairs at HKS.

Today is the 31st Annual CityStep Show: Passport to CityStep! Come support school children from the Cambridge city area as they perform in this international showcase. Tonight they are performing at 7 p.m. in the Cambridge Rindge and Latin School on 459 Broadway Street. Tickets are only $5, and you can get them from any CityStepper!

Today is the Harvard Korean Association’s Annual Culture Show! This show will feature performances as well as catered Korean food. This event will take place in Leverett Dining Hall from 8-10 p.m.

Tonight is the Harvard College Health Advocacy Program’s Life is Good Party and spend your night snacking on healthy food and dancing in Adams LCR from 8-10 p.m.

Tonight is MATHER LATHER! Come to the famous (or infamous) foam party that is taking place in Mather Dining Hall at 10 p.m. Tickets are $10 for students, but $7 for current or future Matherites.

Didn’t make it to the 31st Annual CityStep Show: Passport to CityStep on Friday? Have no fear! They will be performing again on Saturday at 1 p.m. and at 5 p.m. in Lowell Lecture, 17 Kirkland Street.

On Sunday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., prepare yourself for Harvard Undergraduate Holi 2015, hosted by Harvard Dharma! Make your way to the MAC Quad wearing all-white, and play traditional Indian games, eat Indian food and snacks, and throw colored powder at your friends.

Sunday evening at 6 p.m. is the kick-off event of Harvard Heat Week: Building a Movement for Divestment & Climate Action, featuring an impressive lineup of speakers including many social movement leaders. Reserve your tickets now!

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.