Harvard Today: April 17, 2015

•
Students soak in rays outside of Holworthy dorm in Harvard Yard on Thursday afternoon.

Students soak in rays outside of Holworthy dorm in Harvard Yard on Thursday afternoon. By Anneli L. Tostar

Happy Friday, Harvard! We made it to the weekend! And what a weekend it is. SO much is happening on campus in the next couple of days. From Puerto Lowell (and, fingers crossed, a trip to Puerto Rico), to the Film Fest, to just spending time outside now that we won’t freeze to death trying to walk around Cambridge, there’s plenty going on to keep you busy. And all of this is totally a valid excuse for not finishing your last couple of psets.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch

Catch of the Day

Chicken Tikka Masala

Sweet Onion & Pepper Panini

Dinner

Coq Au Vin

Provencal Cod

Ratatouille with Chickpeas

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Today’s going to be rainy with temperatures in the low 60ºs. At least it’s warm enough to rain, right?

IN THE NEWS

1) College Says BSC Move Won't Affect Privacy: “When College administrators resume oversight of the Bureau of Study Counsel in July, they will not use information gathered from students’ meetings with BSC counselors for disciplinary purposes, according to an email from Faculty of Arts and Sciences spokesperson Rachael Dane.”

2) HKS Dean Expects Campaign ‘Slow Down’ After Departure: “When Kennedy School of Government Dean David T. Ellwood ’75 steps down at the end of the academic year, the school may lose one of its most potent fundraising assets.”

3) O’Malley Discusses Possible Presidential Run, Economic Revitalization: “Former Governor of Maryland Martin J. O’Malley spoke at the Institute of Politics on Thursday about the choices and policies needed to build a more prosperous American economy and a stronger middle class.”

4) Faust Offers To Meet With Divest Protesters if They End Blockades: “With the environmental activist group Divest Harvard blocking the entrances to her office for a fifth straight day, University President Drew G. Faust has offered the protesters a meeting—if they end their blockades.”

5) Newly Approved Theater Concentration Reaches Out to Potential Concentrators: “With Harvard’s new Theater, Dance, and Media concentration receiving final approval from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences last week, English professor Martin Puchner—who spearheaded the initiative to create the concentration—is turning his efforts to attracting prospective concentrators, including both current students and admitted members of the Class of 2019.”    

ON SPORTS

1) Women's Rugby Heads to Princeton to Compete For Ancient Eight Title: “This weekend, teams from across the Ivy League will gather in Princeton, N.J. to see who can prevail as the champion of the Ancient Eight in women's rugby sevens.”

2) Women's Water Polo Shuts Down Brown in Home Victory: “After finishing last weekend’s tournament with a 1-2 mark, the No. 20 Harvard women’s water polo team returned home to the Blodgett Pool to host Brown in an Ivy League matchup on Thursday night.”

EVENTS

Relay for Life — At Gordon Track from 2 p.m. to 2 a.m.!

Entrepreneurship and Empowerment — Harvard Ventures is having a set of speakers talk about the intersection between entrepreneurship and personal empowerment today from 5 to 7 p.m. in Fong Auditorium.

#Instajam — The Veritones and the Fallen Angels are hosting an a capella jam in Sanders Theatre at 7:15 p.m. Tickets are $10 for students and you can get them from a member of either group.

Unspoken — Speak Out Loud is putting on Harvard’s first spoken word theatre production at 8 p.m. in the Adams Pool Theatre tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. Email unspokentheshow@gmail.com for tickets!

Pops Ahoy! — The Harvard Pops Orchestra is performing in Lowell Lecture Hall at 8 p.m. You can buy tickets at the Box Office.

Puerto Lowell — Win a weekend trip to Puerto Rico! Come to the Lowell dhall at 9 p.m. and stay until the 12:30 drawing. Tickets are $10 in advance or $15 at the door.

Film Fest — Various events are going on all weekend for the Harvard College Film Fest, including a comedy show tonight at 8 p.m. in Science Center B and student film screenings 12-2 p.m. tomorrow in Menschel Hall.

Black Film Festival — The Tanning of America, Pariah, Black Power Mixtape, and City of God will be shown in Science Center 302 starting at 11 a.m. Saturday.

TEDxHarvard Auditions — Audition at open mic night to be a part of the TEDxHarvard 2015 conference. 3-5 p.m. in the Eliot JCR on Sunday.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.