Harvard Today: April 6, 2015

•
From right, Alpha Epsilon Pi brothers Aaron E. Pelz ’16, Crimson editor Gregory A. Briker ’17, Ethan S. H. Fried ’16, and Jacob S. Goldberg ’16 celebrate Passover during a seder, a traditional Jewish ritual, in Hillel on Saturday evening.

Happy Easter! Hopefully you’ve gorged yourself on enough Peeps and chocolate bunnies to give you a sugar high that will last you until the end of this mess of a semester (putting the “mess” in semester -- get it?). Summer is rapidly approaching -- for better or for worse. Here are some of the annoying things that come with the onset of summer:

1. People asking you “What’re you doing this summer?” just so they can tell you what awesome internship they’ve landed/what fantastic exotic places they’re “studying abroad” in.
  2. Your friends from other (read: warmer) schools posting photos of themselves wearing shorts and tank tops, while we at Harvard are still freezing in down jackets and winter boots.
  3. Finals. In classes where you never showed up to section (oops). What did you even learn in that Gen Ed, anyway? It’s unclear, but apparently you learned enough material to last a 3-hour long exam.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

With highs of 54 degrees and lows of 43 degrees, it’s practically high summer. Except, at this point in April, it is really supposed to be high summer -- or some weather that doesn’t call for more than two layers of clothing. Also don’t plan on buying sunglasses anytime soon, because we probably won’t be seeing the sun all of this week.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Chicken Fingers

Farfale with Italian Sausage and Kale

Tofu Parmesan Sub

Dinner:

Chicken Marsala

Shrimp with Fettucini

Muligrain Rotini with Peas and Mushroom

IN FLYBY

1) What Your Admissions Letter Didn’t Tell You: An essential guide for all over-excited prefrosh. Don’t learn these things the hard way!

2) Mott Hall Bridges Academy Visited Harvard: If you don’t know the entire backstory to this, follow HONY on Facebook -- and keep some tissues nearby.

3) April Fools’ Sushi: Incredible! Candy masquerading as sushi. What could be better?

IN THE NEWS

1) Historical Commission Approves Campus Center Plans: “After an hours-long presentation and at times tense back and forth between Cambridge residents and University planners, the Cambridge Historical Commission approved planned renovations to Harvard’s Smith Campus Center late on Thursday.”

2) Former Professor Suing University Granted Tenure at Tufts: “Kimberly Theidon, a former Harvard professor who  in March filed a lawsuit against Harvard for denying her tenure, has received tenure at Tufts University’s Fletcher School of International Affairs and will begin teaching there in the fall. Her appointment begins July 1.”

3) EdX Settles with Department of Justice: “EdX, an online learning platform that Harvard co-founded with MIT in 2012, entered into a settlement agreement with the Department of Justice on Thursday and will address alleged violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. That settlement could come to bear on a separate but similar lawsuit against Harvard that revolves around issues of accessibility online.”

IN SPORTS

1) Women’s Lacrosse Continues Ivy League Play with High Expectations: “Although it currently stands with a .500 record at 4-4, the Harvard women’s lacrosse squad has sharpened a young team into a mature squad ready to dive into Ivy League play because of its tough schedule.”

EVENTS

Today there will be an Artist Talk by Nina Beier at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts on Level 3 of the Sert Gallery on 24 Quincy Street. This event is from 4-5 p.m. and it is free and open to the public.

Today the OCS is hosting a Harvard Teaching Fellows (HTF) Program Information Session where program leaders Eric H. Shed and Steve Mahoney will provide an overview of the teacher preparation program and answer questions. This event is at 54 Dunster St. from 5-6 p.m.

Today the JFK Jr. Forum is hosting Going Long: Short-Term Decision Making in Business & Government featuring Eric Cantor, IOP Spring 2015 Visiting Fellow, and Shira T. Center, IOP Spring 2014 Resident Fellow. Cantor was in the United States House of Representatives (R-VA) from 2001-2014 and the House Majority leader from 2011-2014. Center is the Politics Editor at The Boston Globe. They will be speaking in the forum at 6 p.m.

Today there is The Big Quiz Thing, the “Boston area’s favorite live trivia event,” featuring five rounds of multimedia quiz excitement, including video puzzles, audio clues, and other live quiz questions. This event is taking place the Oberon on 2 Arrow St. at 5 p.m., and it is free and open to the public.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.