Harvard Today: September 15, 2015

•

Happy Tuesday, everyone! Tuesday is easily one of the most forgettable days of the week but on this particular day, many great things happened in history: the completion of Handel’s Messiah, the canonization of the first American saint, and the first gas balloon flight across the Atlantic Ocean. Sure, you might think you’re super busy with all your homework and comp meetings, but you’re not flying in a gas balloon all by yourself or composing one of the most famous oratorios. Really puts things in perspective.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s going to be nice and warm for most of the day, with highs of 83. However, the lows of 58 are a chilly reminder that winter (or Cambridge’s sad excuse for “autumn”) is coming. Enjoy this while we can. In a few months, 58 degrees would practically seem like high summer.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Pepperoni Pizza

Multigrain Rotini Primavera with Kidney Beans

Florentine Rice

Dinner:

BBQ Salisbury Steak

Cajun Salmon

Mesquite Baked Tofu with Pineapple Salsa

IN THE NEWS

Harvard Square Youth Homeless Center To Open in November: Donning hard hats, Sarah A. Rosenkrantz ’14 and Samuel G. Greenberg ’14 showed off the vacant space in the basement of First Parish Church that will soon house Y2Y Harvard Square, the nation’s first student-run shelter for homeless youth.

Stanley Hoffman, Iconic Professor and Scholar, Dies at 86: Stanley Hoffmann, an iconic voice in international relations who taught generations of top scholars in his over half century at Harvard, died in his sleep on Saturday night. He was 86.

FAFSA Will Be Made Available in October This Year: Applicants to colleges and universities will be able to apply for federal financial aid starting Oct. 1, meaning students will be able to learn of financial aid possibilities more than two months earlier than under the old system, according to a statement from the White House released on Sunday.

Amid Volatility, Experts Say Management Company Should Hold Course: Finance experts say that despite both domestic and international market volatility, the Harvard Management Company, which manages the University’s $35.9 billion endowment, should stay its course and not make drastic changes to investment portfolio.

Harvard Students ‘Devastated’ About Yogurtland Closing: The Harvard Square location of Yogurtland, a self-service frozen yogurt store, has shuttered its doors after two years of operation. A small but passionate and vocal group of longtime student-patrons who regularly frequented Yogurtland while it was in business described themselves as heartbroken over the closure.

After My.Harvard Rollout, Registrar Drops Study Card Late Fee: On the heels of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences’ rollout of the new my.harvard portal, students who failed to turn in their study cards on time last week will not have to pay the $40 late fee.

Small Fire Breaks Out Between Kirkland and Eliot: Students briefly evacuated Kirkland and Eliot Houses on Monday evening after a small electrical fire broke out in a walk-in refrigerator between the Houses’ dining halls, according to Sergeant Daniel Brown of Harvard police.

EVENTS

Voting for Class Marshal of the Senior Class begins today!

Zinneken’s is giving out free waffles today to celebrate its fourth year.

Harvard Women in Computer Science is holding its first official meeting today from 5-6 p.m. in Ticknor Lounge.

The JFK Jr. Forum is holding an event “Can Washington Capitalize on America’s Four Tech Revolutions?” at 6 p.m. moderated by Graham Allison.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.