Harvard Today: September 3, 2015

•
During the first CS50 lecture, David J. Malan '99 explains the concept of binary.
During the first CS50 lecture, David J. Malan '99 explains the concept of binary. By Alana M Steinberg

Welcome to the second official day of classes! Hopefully you managed to figure out your classes on the revamped my.harvard, but if you couldn’t figure out how to even log in, rest assured that everyone else was equally perplexed. But it’s Day 2 and your excuses for having a blank study card are growing feeble, so let’s get cracking. Happy shopping, Harvard!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
It’s going to be another hot day! With highs of 87 and lows of 64, you should probably leave your jacket at home. But don’t forget your umbrella. Even though there’s only a 20% chance of precipitation, you never know.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Spicy Chicken Stir-fry with Peapods
Vegetarian Banh Mi
Brown Jasmine Rice

Dinner:
Fried Flounder
Vegan Casserole with Cashew Cream Sauce
Herbed Orzo

ON SPORTS
Men’s Basketball’s Chambers Withdraw From College After ACL Injury: With two months to go before its first game, the Harvard men’s basketball team may have already suffered its worst loss of the season. The team announced Wednesday morning that three-year starter and captain Siyani Chambers will take a voluntary leave of absence from Harvard College after sustaining a torn ACL during summer workouts.

Women’s Soccer Opens Up Season With Win: After winning the Ivy League title last season, the Harvard women’s soccer team looked to regain momentum in its first contest of the 2015 season. It did just that.

IN THE NEWS
Class of 2019 By The Numbers: Scroll through the interactive graphs and charts on the following pages for a visual representation of the Class of 2019.

Facing Admissions Scrutiny, Harvard Has Much at Stake: As Harvard moves into the new academic year, it faces mounting scrutiny into an aspect of its admission process that administrators have long held is central to fostering diversity in its student body—race-based affirmative action.

As CS50 Attracts More Students, Parodies Pop Up on Campus and Online: The series of posters, hung up in locations including the Quincy House Grille and the entrance to Leverett House’s courtyard, seemed to be a play on materials and merchandise used to promote the actual course. Signed with the tagline, “#notCS50,” the posters feature white typeface on colored backgrounds. One declared, “I did not take CS50,” an apparent reference to real course T-shirts that say “I took CS50.”

BSC Increases Peer Tutor Wages While Reducing Tutoring Fees: Responding to student suggestions and internal review, the Bureau of Study Counsel has increased peer tutor wages and decreased tutoring fees for this academic year.

EdX Users Cheat Through MOOC-Specific Method, Study Says: Roughly 1 percent of certificates granted by Harvard’s and MIT’s school-specific edX platforms were earned by users engaging in a form of cheating never before possible in traditional brick-and-mortar classrooms, according to a working paper released by researchers from the two schools.

EVENTS

The Office of Career Services is having a Finance Boutique Night at the Harvard Faculty Club from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. This event is open to all Harvard College students—freshmen through seniors of all concentrations—plus GSAS and HES students eligible for the Campus Interview Program.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.