Harvard Today: September 8, 2015

•
Viewers examine works at Corita Kent and the Language of Pop during the opening of the exhibit at Harvard Art Museums on Thursday afternoon. The opening was followed by a panel discussion which considered Kent’s role as an iconoclast as well as her printmaking techniques, placing her alongside her contemporaries in the pop art movement.
Viewers examine works at Corita Kent and the Language of Pop during the opening of the exhibit at Harvard Art Museums on Thursday afternoon. The opening was followed by a panel discussion which considered Kent’s role as an iconoclast as well as her printmaking techniques, placing her alongside her contemporaries in the pop art movement. By Katherine L Borrazzo

Happy Tuesday, Harvard, and happy birthday to presidential candidate Bernie Sanders! Vermont’s senator is turning 74 years old today. It’s the perfect day to celebrate the 2016 election season (as if you even need an excuse to party during shopping week).

IN THE DHALLS

Lunch:
Philly Cheese Steak Sub
White Bean Ragout

Dinner:
Coq Au Vin
Steamed Mussels Garlic and White Wine
Vegetable Quinoa Paella

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Today is going to be 96Âş and sunny. #feelthebern

ON FLYBY

Freshman Terminology: Hey freshmen- brush up on some Harvard terminology!

Highlights from the Class of 2019 Survey: We found some interesting statistics on the Class of 2019 for you...

IN THE NEWS

Study: University Could Lose $108 Million Annually If It Divests: A study funded by the petroleum industry has claimed that Harvard would lose $108 million in investment returns per year if it divested its $35.9 billion endowment from fossil fuels.

Hasty Pudding Considering Adding Women to Cast: Women are involved in the Theatricals through its business staff, tech crew, band, and creative writing and music teams, but the cast of its burlesque shows has been composed of all men since 1844.

In Boston, Obama Mandates Sick Leave for Federal Contract Workers: In his speech at Greater Boston Labor Council breakfast, he announced the order, which allows federal workers one hour of sick leave for every 30 hours they work, amounting to a maximum seven days per year. The new law will give paid sick days to 300,000 workers, he said.

History Professor Receives National Humanities Medal: History professor Evelyn B. Higginbotham is among the recipients of the 2014 National Humanities Medal, the White House announced on Friday.

ON ARTS

Redefining Pop: Harvard Art Museums’ New Exhibit Explores Corita Kent: The exhibit spans around a decade of Kent’s creative output with six galleries that focus on different aspects of her work from 1964 to 1971, including her use of traffic as inspiration and her interest in Del Monte’s tomatoes.

EVENTS

Pop Up Performance — Erin Jarvis is performing in the Science Center Plaza from 12-1 this afternoon!

Farmer’s Market — The Farmer’s Market will be in the Science Center Plaza starting at noon.

Walter and the Night Owls — This alt-folk quartet is playing at 4:30 in the Plaza.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.