This Week at Harvard: Activities on Both Sides of the River

Boston Common.
Boston Common. By Geoffrey Martello

Fourth of July weekend can be pretty hard to follow. Whether you’re heading back to work or still in vacation mode, Flyby is here with ideas for easy-going activities in Boston and Cambridge this week.

Boston Public Library courtyard concert
Wednesday from 6-7 p.m. | The Boston Public Library (Red Line to Green Line to Copley)

What better way to wind down from your fourth of July weekend than relaxing at a concert in the beautiful Boston Public Library courtyard? BPL’s summer concert series is a good excuse to take the train into the city and explore the library—whether or not you’ve been before—and then grab a bite on Newbury Street nearby or wander around the Public Gardens.

Jurassic Park screening
Wednesday at 7 p.m. | Coolidge Corner Theatre (Red Line to Green Line C train to Coolidge Corner)

If the Boston Public Library isn’t your scene, catch a classic back on the big screen at Coolidge Corner Theatre’s screening of Jurassic Park. Before the movie, you can also join a discussion at the theater with Ben Mezrich (author of the new book Woolly: The True Story of the Quest to Revive One of History’s Most Iconic Extinct Creatures) and geneticist George Church.

Freedom Trail “Walk Into History” tour
Any day of the week | Visitor Information Center, Boston Common

Fourth of July got you pondering the historic relevance of Boston? Fortunately, the Freedom Trail is here to guide your pursuit of that interest in the form of 90-minute walking tours from Boston Common to Faneuil Hall. Get some exercise, enjoy the sights of Boston, and then find something to eat among the extensive dining options offered in the Faneuil Hall Marketplace.

Outdoor performance in the Square
Thursday at 5:30 p.m. | Palmer Street at Brattle Street, next to the Coop

Closer to home, Club Passim is hosting their weekly outdoor concert on Thursday in Harvard Square. This week’s performer is singer/songwriter/violinist Kathleen Parks. Get some dinner to-go nearby and take advantage of free, live music in the Square.

$4 Falafel at Wrapro Falafel & Grille
Friday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. | 20 Eliot St.

This summer, Wrapro Falafel & Grille in Harvard Square is offering $4 falafel wraps on Fridays. Stop by to get some good food without blowing your budget for the whole weekend.

Boston Breakers home game
Friday at 7 p.m. | Jordan Field, right next to the Harvard Stadium

Catch the region’s professional women’s soccer team playing against the Chicago Red Stars this Friday. Take a stroll along the river and into Allston for an affordable evening of sports spectatorship. Tickets start at $18.

Matisse at the MFA
Saturday from 5-10 p.m. | Museum of Fine Arts (Red Line to Green Line E train to Museum of Fine Arts)

Saturday is the last day to see “Matisse in the Studio” at the MFA, the exhibit’s only U.S. venue. As a celebration of the shows last night, 21+ year-old visitors can also enjoy Night Shift Brewing’s “Matisse saison beer” at the museum.

Netflix
Anytime | Anywhere

If you’d rather not leave home this week, we here at Flyby have options for that, too. A bunch of TV shows and movies have been added to Netflix this month, including 2017 Oscar nominee Lion (as of July 9th), heartwarmers E.T. and Madagascar 2, and everyone’s favorite tearjerker: Titanic.

Flyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureFlyby Front

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.