Flyby Explores: Thrifting Near Campus

By Kara A. Culligan

For some, the coming semester is a chance to bounce back from spending last semester wearing the same sweats five days in a row. If you already spent all your money on caffeine during finals, shopping on Newbury Street may not be financially feasible. Or maybe the thought of dropping a grand on a Goose terrifies you, and you’re looking for other ways to keep warm. Whether you’re need to reinvent yourself after a finals season crisis or want to sell your summer pieces for some cash, Boston’s thrift and consignment stores are a great option.

Goodwill

There are six Goodwill stores in the Boston area, but only three that Harvard students will realistically make the trek to: 520 Massachusetts Ave. in Central Square, 965 Commonwealth Ave. in Allston, and 230 Elm St in Davis Square. Of the three, the Central Square location is the closest, while the Davis Square location is more promising for upscale finds. One reviewer described the Davis Square store as the “baby bear” of Boston thrift shops by providing a “just-right” amount of options. Everything is organized by color, a quality sure to please Type A personalities. Furthermore, Goodwill is a nonprofit, so donating clothing is perfect for those of you who want to do some good before fully committing to selling out.

Oona’s

Oona’s provides a vast selection of true vintage pieces with most items dating back to before the ‘90s. The boutique provides clothing that is out of the box but still appropriate for everyday wear. Aside from being a great place to find a genuine ’40s little black dress or ’70s bell bottoms, the store boasts an expansive men’s section for those of you who are tired of wearing your Department of Harvard Athletics sweatshirt every day. If you’re still missing the presence of Urban Outfitters in the Square, there is also a hipster apothecary section. Most importantly: All pieces come dry-cleaned!

Raspberry Beret

If you are a dedicated hypebeast and can’t give up your labels, Raspberry Beret is a consignment boutique that carries many major brands. The Maynard location caters to a more preppy crowd with brands like Lululemon and Kate Spade. For those who wish to be more adventurous with their fashion, the Cambridge location carries brands like Marimekko, John Fluevog, and Free People, as well as a larger vintage collection. If you are wary about purchasing second-hand, reviewers say that the clothes and shoes here are usually barely worn and often still have the tags on them.

All of these stores are great options to refresh your wardrobe or just provide a bit of retail therapy. And remember, thrifting is good for the planet, not just for your wallet!

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby Front FeatureHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.