Flyby’s Guide to Falling in Love with Fall

By Courtesy of Google Images

Finally having an in-person semester means the return of midterms, men in suits, and David Malan’s sweat. If that isn’t enough to look forward to, being on campus means we’ll finally be able to enjoy New England’s least-worst season: fall! With the official start of fall happening tomorrow – and as a New England native – here are my favorite ways to enjoy the fall that doesn’t involve crying over midterms.

Apple Picking

You don’t need to join a pre-professional club to go on an apple picking retreat! Russell Orchards is only a short Uber away from the Ipswich stop on the Newburyport Commuter Line and has even fresher fruit and cider than the plums in Dunster dhall. So grab a couple of friends and your canvas tote (you definitely have one) and get pickin’!

Explore the Esplanade

If you’re looking to stay in Boston, you can pedal your problems away on a BlueBike, a great and inexpensive way to explore the city. You can find bikes outside of Dunster and around the Square, and bike paths stretch down the river and through the famous tree-lined Boston Esplanade.

Take a Hike

To get a glance at New England’s famous fall foliage, tear yourself away from your screens and head to the hills for some hiking. Popular hikes include the Blue Hills (MA), Mount Monadnock (NH), or the Franconia Notch Ridge (NH) for more adventurous hikers, all accessible via Zipcar. The Harvard Outing Club also offers frequent weekend hiking trips to New Hampshire or western Massachusetts for those who are too lazy to plan their own trips. If you don’t have a day or a weekend to travel upstate, walking to the Quad is also an option for a long and strenuous hike.

Providence Ghost Tour

Your Tinder date isn’t the only ghost you’ll encounter this fall! Get spooked by the Providence Ghost Tour, a walking tour of the haunted streets of the East Side of Providence, RI. MBTA Commuter Rail passes are just $10 for the weekend — the cost of a single Felipe’s burrito — and an easy way to get out of The Harvard Bubble™.

Be sure to check out a few of these options before it’s too late — time really flies, and the Canada Goose jackets and sub-zero temperatures will soon be here before you know it.

Flyby BlogFlyby FrontAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.