Flyby Blog’s 104 Days of Summer Vacation

By Flyby Blog

Classes? Who is she. We’re still reminiscing about summer — whether we were in South America, the Bay Area, or hanging around Cambridge, those sweaty sweaty days are still on the brain (instead of our p-set 0). Read on to see a snapshot of what Flyby writers were up to this summer!

Flyby Abroad:

Matylda A. Urbaniak: After deciding that I couldn't possibly roast in the furnace that the Northeastern United States over the summer, I did a lil 180 — I traveled to the winter of Santiago, Chile, to work for an environmental conservation organization. Here, my main hobby was complaining about the cold and wearing five layers to work because unlike in Boston, there is no indoor heating. Thankfully, it made me feel grateful enough about returning to the summer that I didn’t complain about the heat for a whole few hours!!

Tina Chen: All the manifesting finally came true — because this summer, I lived that hot girl European life (on sweet Harvard dime). With absolutely zero German knowledge, I lived in Germany for two months, drinking sparkling water, eating brötchen to my heart’s content, and just not knowing what was happening around me most of the time. Although I was part of a fellowship program working a full-time internship, it ended up being mostly remote with some loose tasks here and there. So instead, I packed my bags and spent most of my time on speedy European trains and traveling to different cities (if my supervisor somehow finds this, I’m kidding <3). I made it to Amsterdam, Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, Brussels, and Paris. It was a great international experience, but alas, I will now be spending the next three weeks adjusting to HUDS food and being under the drinking age again </3.

Ellen S. Deng: Like every other Harvard student, I spent my summer across the pond in Europe, interning in Geneva, Switzerland, and raving about the food and public transportation. While I wasn’t pushing my lactose intolerance to the limit with French and Swiss cheeses or discovering the beauty of desktop monitors, I solo-traveled across Western Europe, meeting the coolest people while sleeping staying in hostels (or falling down a mountain). Dean Khurana would be proud of just how much I was transformed by my experience <3

Corinne E. Furey:

This summer, one of Flyby Blog’s newest members, Corinne E. Furey, partook in all of the traditional “everyone look I’m abroad” activities: hopping between various countries, taking as many photos as her no-storage camera roll allowed, and stealing borrowing the local pets (see picture below). After “gracefully” exiting a week in Greece, Corinne ventured to London to take a course where knowledge was learned and adventures were had. Upon returning home to the lovely state of Delaware, Corinne attempted to reconcile her absurd sleep debt before training for the upcoming Volleyball preseason (#RollCrim).

Flyby At Home:

Raymond Wu: This past summer I went back home to New York City and interned for JamRock Productions, a new theater production company. I was tasked with making the website for the company and taking meeting minutes and a bunch of other typical intern duties, but the fun part was that I could go to a bunch of theatrical performances (for FREE!!!!). We went to Broadway shows, Off-Broadway shows, and presentations and workshops for shows still under development. I also went to Times Square more times this summer than I have ever been in my life previously and got lost every single time, but at least now I can kind of read street signs.

Get You a Writer Who Can Do Both:

Janani Sekar: I spent most of the summer suffering in the gross, sticky, Cambridge humidity while working on cool research. But the month of August was a little spicier. I went back home to the Bay Area and drank lots of good coffee in the best city in the world (San Francisco). And then I yeeted across the planet to India and then to Thailand, where I suffered in more humidity, saw the Taj Mahal, ate really good mangoes, and shopped at outdoor markets for a lot of things I wanted but did not need. Now, I’m dealing with the consequences (limited closet space and horrible jetlag).

Anjali Z. Mehta: Staying true to Harvard stereotypes, I worked at a consulting firm for the majority of the summer. I racked up airline points traveling during the week and mastered the art of making aesthetically pleasing decks. I’m even currently having Powerpoint withdrawal. Afterward, I and my (literal) mother joined everyone and their (figurative) mother in Europe, as we traveled around Spain for a week. I then returned to campus to lead a FOP trip. I loved getting to know my FOPpers, and, as a directionally challenged individual, am pretty proud that we only went two miles off route. I’m so excited to return to campus, experience house life, and attend parties that aren’t in Tasty Basty!

Alexandra A. Kassinis: ​​I spent this summer interning remotely at Save the Children US, working and conducting research as part of their Climate Change team! I lived in Boston for part of the summer and was able to explore new parts of the city, visit Cape Cod and take a quick trip to Washington D.C. I spent the second half of the summer at home, in Cyprus, soaking up the beautiful Mediterranean sun and spending a lot of time at the beach!

Flyby BlogFeatures and Series

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.