Year in Review 2020

How COVID-19 Made a Harvard Epidemiologist Into a Public Ambassador for Science

“I got a call from the Prime Minister of Israel who just wanted to talk about what they were doing,” Marc Lipsitch said. “That's a level of advice that I've never been asked to do before and has been really interesting.”

Discord in the Big Tent

Four years ago, the Harvard Republican Club denounced Donald Trump. As he runs for re-election, what happens next?

A ‘Hairball Of Issues’ in Store for Fall Campus Reopenings, Experts Say

After the spring semester has come to a close and large portions of the country begin easing restrictions brought on by the outbreak, Harvard administrators must consider the question: what will happen in the fall?

The Kennedy Connection

Eighty years later, JFK’s political dynasty is still alive at the school that helped spur it — thanks, in part, to a family-University relationship unlike any other.

After Going Viral, Undergraduate Council Leaders Struggle to Find Footing

For a Harvard Undergraduate Council election, the attention directed towards James A. Mathew ’21 and Ifeoma E. White-Thorpe ’21 was unprecedented, helping propel them to a narrow yet resounding victory.

Bob Scalise’s Rules for Life

Scalise led Harvard's Athletics Department to athletic achievements, weathered its crises, and defended it from succumbing to the growing professionalization of collegiate sports. He will retire this summer.

The People’s Parity Project is Trying to Change Law in America

Founded in 2018, the People’s Parity Project aims to reform the legal profession by working to end harassment, combat injustice, and protect workers’ rights in the legal field.

Incoming Harvard Freshmen Imagine an Unprecedented Start to College

As the Class of 2020 graduates without the fanfare typical of a grand commencement ceremony, the Class of 2024 looks forward to entering Harvard as the world continues to fight an era-defining virus.

Defining Public and Private in the Smith Campus Center

Smith Campus Center planners intended to create both a Harvard-focused community center and a public building open to Cambridge residents, but controversies over the treatment of non-affiliates and homeless individuals have highlighted the difficulty of striking that balance.

The Allston Science Complex’s Winding Path to Completion

COVID-19, which struck just as the SEC was teetering on the edge of completion, marks the latest development in a tale of conception and construction spanning the last three decades.

‘A Recipe for Instability’ As Multiple Harvard Unions to Seek Contracts Amid Pandemic

The University’s contracts with four of those unions will expire later this year, forcing Harvard to renegotiate the agreements nearly simultaneously during a global pandemic.

As COVID-19 Affects Low-Income Communities, Greater Boston Legal Services Aids Those Hardest Hit

Amid rising numbers of unemployment and eviction cases, Greater Boston Legal Services has helped to fill resource gaps and provide legal aid to those most negatively impacted.

‘Foci of Infection’: Harvard’s History of Infectious Diseases, Explained

Coronavirus marks only the latest chapter in a long history of campus responses to infectious disease, from smallpox in the 1700s to swine flu in 2009, though no outbreak has ever before precipitated such a large-scale and long-term closure.

Living Through History: The University-Wide Effort to Preserve the Pandemic

Harvard projects aim to preserve stories and evidence of the historic pandemic for future generations.

‘Working As One’: Cambridge Responds to School Closures

When the coronavirus pandemic caused many academic institutions to close in mid-March, students were sent home to transition to remote learning. Cambridge Public Schools was no exception.