ROVING REPORTER: VES 25: Non-Observational Painting

ā€¢

Non-observational painting or paint therapy? VES Lecturer Drew Beattie asked his students to dig deep and throw everything they found onto canvas. The results were displayed at the VES 25: Non-Observational Painting open house on January 9. Roving Reporter showed up to admire the artwork and bother people.

Drew Beattie, Lecturer on Visual and Environmental Studies

RR: What is your middle initial?

DB: I donā€™t really use it.

RR: Sure, but itā€™s The Crimsonā€™s style to attribute people using their middle initials.

DB: No.

RR: Okay. So what were you trying to get your students to accomplish in this class?

DB: Well, itā€™s technically a beginning class, so Iā€™m trying to get students to use an alternate language to engage with painting. Itā€™s non-observational, so youā€™re dealing with imagined structures.

RR: And everyone was on board with that?

DB: I give a big spiel during shopping week, so I tend to draw people who are into that sort of thing. [Rudolf Arnheim Lecturer on Studio Arts] Nancy Mitchnik also teaches a foundational observational painting class.

RR: Do you guys have a rivalry? Non-observational versus observational?

DB: No, weā€™re buddies. Sometimes itā€™s useful to pretend that we do, but we donā€™t really. I think itā€™s important for Harvard students to practice speculative making, doing as thinking. Itā€™s about thingness, not theory.

Ian R. Merrifield ā€˜12

RR: What do we have here?

IRM: Well, we started out with ten little paintings that were inspired from a list of like, 200 phrases. Then for the final painting we were supposed to loosely combine them into one big painting, somehow synthesize them. Conceptually itā€™s incredibly difficult to go from something so small to something so large...I had never worked with oil before this paintingā€”the other paintings were in acrylic. Acrylic is cool, but oil is much more seductive. You get to sit there and play with it...Iā€™m dealing with some pretty loaded imagery. One of the first things our professor said in the final critique was that there arenā€™t many more loaded images than Christ on the cross. I wanted to ask, ā€œWhat sort of modern world needs to be saved with another round of crucifixions?ā€ Thatā€™s the conceptual idea I started with.

RR: Is this going home to mom and dad?

IRM: I live in California, so it would probably be pretty expensive. Plus, Iā€™m not sure they would be happy with a painting with a lot of crucifixions. Iā€™m not sure they would want to put it up in their house.

Eamon F. Fleming ā€˜10

RR: What do you think of your friendā€™s painting?

EFF: I think itā€™s great.

RR: What is it?

EFF: It looks like a guy in the street.

RR: Why is the guyā€™s head so small?

EFF: Probably, because itā€™s the farthest thing away.

RR: Has he grown as a painter since youā€™ve known him?

EFF: We donā€™t really know him as a painter. Heā€™s always sitting around drawing, sketching with paint markers and stuff. A lot of it is hip-hop inspired. Straight gangster rap.

Sophie R. Wharton ā€˜11 and Madeleine A. Bennett ā€˜11

RR: What do you think of the paintings?

SRW: Iā€™m very impressed. Our friend has practically lived here, so itā€™s nice to see the end result.

RR: So was she successful?

SRW: Of course! Sheā€™s a dancer, and I can see a lot of the same talent in her paintings.

MAB: All of the paintings here are so different. Thereā€™s a lot of self-expression. Cartoons next to big splotches.

SRW: I like the monsters. Theyā€™re cute in a freakish way.

RR: Do you think people are exorcising their Harvard frustrations?

MAB: More of this would be pretty healthy for the school.

ā€”Staff Writer Jillian J. Goodman can be reached at jjgoodm@fas.harvard.edu.

Roving Reporter

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.