If You Were Cool, Your Weekend Would Entail All This...

Howdy folks, here's your weekend roundup of all things arts. You'll be so cultured, you'll be like yogurt.

On Campus:

Saturday is sold out, but Friday you can still catch one of the last performances of the Lowell Opera Society's "Otello." (8:30 p.m.; Students $12, through Harvard Box Office)

The Harvard Collegium-Musicum performs 20th century classical choral scores "Frank Martin's Mass" and "Songs of Love and War" on Friday night (8 p.m.; Sanders Theatre; Students $10, through the Harvard Box Office or online).

Agnes Varda is a French film director, and she and her films are gracing the Harvard Film Archive until the 16th. A different film every night, ranging from Paris in the 1960s in "Cleo de 5 a 7" and "Lions Love" to look at the periphery of modern French life in the documentary "The Gleaners." (See website for showtimes; free for Harvard students).

Catch the off-campus buzz after the jump... It's worth it if only for the picture.

And Off:

It's Saint Patty's Day weekend. For Boston in all its beer-soaked glory, there's nowhere like the Southie parade on Sunday. It starts at 1 pm from the Broadway T-stop on the Red Line. Every Irish pub in town is trying to prove its about more than green beer, and the Globe has a round-up of places offering special Irish menus.

Chances are you won't be able to get any tickets to the Dropkick Murphy's annual March homecoming bash. But just in case-- they'll be at House of Blues all week. (6 p.m.; $29.50 through Ticketmaster.com)

For a less raucous outing, an exhibit of Venetian Renaissance maestros Titian, Tintoretto and Veronese opens Sunday at the Museum of Fine Arts. Quite the smorgasbord, with almost 20 paintings by each. (MFA is open 10 a.m.-4:45 p.m. Sa-Tu, 10 a.m.-9:45 p.m. W-F; $15 with student ID, free Weds. after 4).

Now that Obama's transformed America into a post-racial rainbow land, what will protest punk rockers Propaghandi have to rage about? I have a hunch they'll find something. (Middle East Downstairs; Sunday, 7pm; $17 at the door)

Speaking of propaganda, the Brattle is showing "Selling Democracy: Films of the Marshall Plan." These were pieces made for distribution in Europe, and most of the five flicks have never been seen in the U.S. before. Also, for a joint Friday the 13th/St. Paddy's Day celebration, on Friday night at 10 p.m. they'll be playing the "horror" film "Leprechaun," in which a wee green man terrorizes Jennifer Aniston. (Marshall Plan films run March 12-19; for showtimes see website)

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.