A Stitch in Time Brings Us a New Pastime

•

Looking for a new (and productive) hobby? Although Harvard students may find they come few and far between, a campus knitting club is allowing some to pursue a new pastime while simultaneously helping charitable causes.

A Stitch in Time—which was recently revitalized by co-presidents Yvette Ramirez '12 and Lily E. Higgins '12—teaches and fosters knitting among students by providing supplies and instructions to club members. ASIT also connects club members with charity organizations in need of hand-knit donations. Currently, the club works with Friends of Boston’s Homeless, Cradles to Crayons, the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and the Blum Cancer Resource Room at MGH, and is working to expand its donation network, according to Ramirez.

Although ASIT still emphases the charity aspect of knitting, the club has changed its focus somewhat. "Initially...knitters went to women’s shelters and taught them how to knit, but eventually directors there established their own programs," Ramirez said. She added that she "had to change the mission of the group" in order to increase appeal for new members.

"Now we’re trying to encourage more students to learn how to knit, in the hopes that they will contribute some of their hand-knit items to local charities," Ramirez said.

Charitable causes aside, the act of knitting has also proved to be a worthy diversion for some students. "It's just very relaxing to knit," said Shaliesha K. Hinds '13, who has completed more than 10 projects since joining last semester. "It rejuvenates me."

The club meets every other Saturday from 3-4 p.m. in the Women’s Center. But the setting is not intended to deter any craft-minded males from attending. "Guys shouldn’t ever feel intimidated to come join us," said Ramirez. "Everyone's welcome."

Photo courtesy of Steven Depolo/Creative Commons.

Clubs

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.