En Boca Lasted About as Long as Jeb!

•
Jeb Bush, whose presidential candidacy lasted about as long as En Boca.
Jeb Bush, whose presidential candidacy lasted about as long as En Boca. By Zennie L. Wey

In June, the upscale, Mediterranean-inspired restaurant En Boca closed—but no one noticed. The restaurant, which opened in October of 2016, disappeared without warning, leaving some reservations still on the books after its closure. En Boca was named one of the “Best New Restaurants” by the Boston Globe and was one of few high-end restaurants in the Square, so why’d it go?

En Boca cited construction on Holyoke Street, claiming it “plagued” the business. The construction was scheduled to end in September of 2016, but the restaurant says they were told it would now continue through August 2018. Because of that, they decided to leave after only being open for eight months.

For college students, putting anything into the context of time can be hard. Students eat fast, study slowly, and sometimes don’t really start their days until the sun has gone down. To help put En Boca into perspective, here are five things that lasted even less time than this restaurant’s stint on Holyoke Street.

1. Jeb Bush’s presidential campaign. The brother of 43, grandson of 41, and former governor of Florida formally announced he would be running in June of 2015, and then dropped out almost exactly eight months later. Jeb!

2. Kim Kardashian’s 2011 marriage to Kris Humphries (remember him?). Their marriage only lasted 72 days, but the wedding cost an estimated $10 million. Over four million people watched the two exchange their very temporary vows, so, in Kardashian terms, the marriage was probably considered a success.

3. William Henry Harrison’s presidency. The ninth president of the United States died only a month after his inauguration because of pneumonia. His death led to a mini-Constitutional crisis—arguably the most drama a cold has ever caused.

4. A cat’s pregnancy. Cats are pregnant for about two months, so En Boca’s lifespan = four litters of kittens.

5. The TV series “Toast.” While Shonda Rhimes is a television mastermind, she struck out in 2016 when it came to this series centered around wedding toasts, which never made it to air. So, in memory of all of these short-lived endeavors and the Square’s own En Boca, let’s raise a glass.

Flyby BlogFlyby Front

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.