Lamont Café Has Some Competition

The Barker Center Cafe, a favorite for English Department TFs holding office hours, was just recently renovated. We went to check it out so you’ll know whether or not it’s worth going for a snack between classes. Lamont, debatably our favorite place to shove food in our faces while we “work,” might have some competition! Here’s our verdict.

The Food
The Rundown: The cafe’s food, from Hi-Rise Bread Company and managed by Harvard University Dining Services, is surprisingly elaborate. The menu features items like a kale salad served with buttermilk dressing, Bircher muesli (read: parfait and oatmeal mixed together), and baguette sandwiches with goat cheese, sweet potato, and pesto. We sampled their quiche and gave it a passing grade.

Our Verdict: If you want actual food instead of telling yourself for the 47th time that Lamont sushi isn’t a bad idea, go here. But beware that prices are, well, pricey—$3.15 for a chocolate chip cookie and $10.75 for a farro and feta chopped salad? (OK, maybe the last one’s justified.) The café accepts both Board Plus and Crimson Cash, though, so we hope you’re better at financial planning than us and have more than $1.19 left in your account.

The Atmosphere
The Rundown: The cafe is located in the rotunda of the Barker Center, so natural light floods in and you overlook a great garden view while sipping your coffee. The seating area is on the small side, with wooden tables interspersed between large, leather couches. Power outlets are few and far between, but it does have a much quieter and relaxed ambience than Lamont.

Our Verdict: Go to Lamont if you need to do heavy work on your computer. Go to Barker if you need to do reading or light computer work, or if you want to pretend to do reading and simply look like an intellectual, with your café au lait in hand.

By Arianna R. Kahn
Food and DrinkFlyby Front FeatureSnacksThe finer thingsgreat expectations

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.