A Practical To-Do List Before 2014 Ends

•

By Wikimedia Commons

2015 is surprisingly only a couple of days away, and we’re all probably wondering what in the world we’ve accomplished this past year (with the exception of procrastinating, napping, and going to Lamont only to be on Facebook for 3 hours). Unless you’re spending your time vacationing in a foreign country or volunteering in an NGO, here are some of things to do if you want to squeeze in a little productivity before the year ends:

1) Making space on your phone
A new year means new music, new gifs and new photos, so you should probably remove all those old pics to make room. Because if a moment isn’t uploaded to Instagram, did it really happen? Do you actually need all those embarrassing bathroom selfies you took at those parties from last semester? And no, you don’t need 20 blurry pics of you trying to get a photo of the Harvard turkey en route to class. Besides, you need room for all those New Year's Eve selfies to post on FB.

2) Catching up on all the shows you’ve missed
In between all the studying and networking you’ve been doing, you might’ve fallen behind on your favorite TV shows or put off starting new ones.  How embarrassing would it be to say that you haven't finished "House of Cards" by the end of this year– social faux pas much? Maybe binge on "Orange is the New Black" or listen to "Serial." If you can complete a ten page paper in a single night (don’t deny it), you can definitely watch all the (few) episodes of "Ivy" and "Absent."

3) Helping Someone Out With their College Applications
Though most of us blacked out life before college, don’t forget that many high school seniors are working on their applications to college right now. Whether it’s a family member or someone from your old school, there's probably someone out there who’s procrastinated on their apps. Maybe you’re feeling super charitable from the holiday season or perhaps you’re feeling guilty about the lack of community service you’ve done this past year, but give out last minute tips, help edit essays, or tell high school seniors any iteration of “You’re (insert synonym for amazing/awesome/great/wonderful)” incase they’re assessing their self-worth entirely on what they wrote in their Common Apps.

4) Planning for the next semester and summer
It’s a great time to start thinking about what you want to do this summer, applying for programs and funding, or re-editing your resume for the tenth time. You might also want to start shopping for next semester’s classes on the CS50 site. But then again, what even is college if you don’t procrastinate, aka wait until the last day of break to see what classes you’re going to tomorrow?

Student LifeFlyby BlogClassicoops

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.