Flyby's Guide to Last-Minute Date Places in the Square

Menu offerings for dinner at Lowell House last night consisted of pasta, pasta, and more pasta—a dining fate that students have continually faced at both lunch and dinner every day.

It’s 5 p.m. on Valentine’s Day, and you get a special text from that special someone—your boyfriend, girlfriend, friend with benefits, crush from section that you finally got up the courage to ask out. “Hey, so where are we going tonight?”

Crap. You were too excited about finally having a date on this usually tragic holiday that you forgot to actually plan the date. No worries—Flyby has your back. Here are some last-minute suggestions for Valentine’s Day spent in Harvard Square.

1. Border Cafe
For the hot and heavy. No reservation needed, though the wait may be a tad long if you go at peak dinner times. Still, the strung up lights always provide a fun, romantic atmosphere, and the fajitas are just as hot and spicy as your romance.

2. Shake Shack
For the creative couple. This may not sound too romantic at first, but hear us out. You can get one shake (we recommend peanut butter) and put two straws in it. Then order some fries and split them “Lady and the Tramp” style.

3. Crema Cafe
For the romantic hipster. A couple of hot lattes to thaw the ice in your hearts, some pastries, and a cute, playful card (or maybe some poetry if you think you can pull it off) could make for a magical Valentine’s Day.

4. L.A. Burdick’s
For the hopeless romantic. Because what Valentine’s Day is complete without chocolate, and is there a better place in Harvard Square for chocolate? You can split some and gaze into each other’s eyes in this European-inspired, old-fashioned café. Or Instagram your hot chocolate. Whatever gets you going more.

5. Hong Kong
For the most desperate. Nothing like dumplings with your dumpling. And depending on how late it is, you can split a Scorpion Bowl.

6. CVS
For the more established couple. If you’re past the point where you need an exciting outing to make it a date, don’t force it. Get some food that you can “make” together. I don’t really know what says soul-mates more than splitting some Easy Mac and feeding each other heart-shaped Reese’s.

7. Adam’s dhall
For the cheap and lazy.

8. Hillel
For the cheap, lazy, and Kosher.

Harvard SquareHolidaySquare BusinessFlyby CampusFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.