Movies to Watch Instead of Studying for Finals

•

Your finals are coming up and you are in the mood to make poor life decisions. Luckily for you, we have compiled a list of high-quality flicks you absolutely need to see before attempting to salvage what is left of your GPA. Besides, if you consider these films to be a somewhat educational and cultural experience, you will learn significantly more than you already have falling asleep in lecture all semester. As a professional courtesy, all of these films are indeed available via Netflix.

Spy Kids

“Spy Kids” is a Robert Rodriguez masterpiece involving child acting and CGI henchmen with enormous thumbs for appendages (talk about a thumb war). Nevertheless, the film is fully aware of its zany family-movie premise and flaunts it in giddy confidence. It makes you think about your wonderful childhood before pesky things like exams and responsibilty got in the way. If you like having fun, you will love “Spy Kids.” If not, please go back to Yale.

Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure

Do you even philosophize bro? This documentary featuring Neo and some other guy depicts the history behind Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and even Abraham Lincoln! In fact, it turns out that Socrates’ most noteworthy teaching is “All we are, is dust in the wind dude.” The film is an excellent exploration of deep things and stuff, and is sure to help on your Societies in the World final coming up. So consider this as research that just happens to destroy half your brain cells because it is so intelligent and expresses ideas as heavy as your workload.

Pumping Iron

Before Arnold Schwarzenegger became the Governor of California, he was a not-so-American hero. “Pumping Iron” is a documentary that inspired generations of bodybuilders and weightlifters to build their bodies and lift weights. While Arnie might not be going to any choppas or terminating people in this documentary, he shows us the psyche and mental strength required to pump iron (not the mineral). This is the most inspirational sports movie ever made, and is for those of you who already spend half their time in the MAC watching others work out.

The Babadook

This is a children’s film about family, which should not be mistaken for anything from the “Fast and Furious” franchise. In all seriousness, “The Babadook” is a chilling horror film that actually features sympathetic, smart, and complex characters. It also forgoes those cheap jump scares for a psychological terror that metaphorically embodies the grieving process. Prepare yourself for a real Primal Scream. Besides, it can’t be any scarier than actually studying for finals.

Noah

This film is pretty much historically accurate, and you might actually fall asleep watching this biblical yarn. Noah, with the body of a gladiator, shelters his family from God’s computer generated flood and adopts Hermione Granger. The film’s only crime is that Noah, played by the ever amiable Russell Crowe, did not have a single line to sing. This movie may be especially important for those HEB concentrators out there.

Flyby BlogExamsthis rocks

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.