Top Seven Places On Campus to Catch the Next Sunset

•
By Tina Chen

As I have now fully embraced the dread and reality of the situation that I am indeed a senior, I’ve reached the stage of appreciating all the things about Harvard that I’ll miss after I graduate. And there’s no doubt about it: I’m going to miss taking my silly little hot-girl-mental-health walks by the river, especially during golden hour, aka peak sunset watching. Especially now that the fall season is in full swing, take some time out of your evening and enjoy the sunset at these locations!

Sunset from John W. Weeks Bridge.
Sunset from John W. Weeks Bridge. By Tina Chen

John W. Weeks Bridge

Classic. Iconic. What screams sunset more than Weeks Bridge? Especially if you’re a River House resident, the Weeks Bridge is the go-to place to watch the sunset. I usually venture here after dinner, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends. It’s the perfect spot to take some beautiful sunset photos (because if you don’t post them, how will people know you went sunset watching?), and, if you’re brave enough, you can hop onto the railing for some even better views. And hey, sometimes you’ll even catch a rower or two, making your sunset snapshot even more picturesque.

Sunset from Mather Towers.
Sunset from Mather Towers. By Tina Chen

Mather Towers (subtle flex)

Say what you will about Mather, but my house definitely has its perks. One of many: the beautiful sunset view from the comfort of my own room. And the higher you go, the better the view. From one window, I can see Prudential Center in Boston; from another, I get a beautiful river view. Mather Tower >>>>

Sunset from Anderson Memorial Bridge.
Sunset from Anderson Memorial Bridge. By Tina Chen

Anderson Memorial Bridge (aka the other bridge by the stadium)

My post-dinner walks usually start from Mather, cross over Weeks bridge, and the walk towards the Harvard Stadium before looping back around across the Anderson Memorial Bridge. Something about bridges and sunsets just ✨makes sense ✨. I will say, though, the experience isn’t as satisfying on this bridge due to the cars/buses/shuttles on this road. The street noise takes you out of the sunset immersion mood, but the view is definitely still comparable.

Sunset from Math Lounge Balcony.
Sunset from Math Lounge Balcony. By Tina Chen

Science Center Math Lounge Balcony

For all the STEM people out there, if you’re stuck in the Science Center during the late afternoon/early evening hours due to whichever pset is the bane of your existence that week, take a quick break to head to the Math Lounge on the fourth floor. There’s a balcony there where you can get some fresh air and catch a glimpse of the color-changing sky. And hey — the Math Lounge has Nespresso machines for anyone to use… 👀

Sunset from Longfellow Bridge.
Sunset from Longfellow Bridge. By Tina Chen

Longfellow Bridge

A little far of a trek, so not really a go-to spot for me, but if you find yourself around the MIT area (or if you’re taking the T during sunset hour), here’s yet another bridge from which you can enjoy the sunset! I happened to be in a car crossing into Boston and caught the view. Personally, not enticing enough to make the journey down Mass. Ave. for fun, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

10th Floor of Smith

To be honest, I’ve been to the 10th floor of Smith only once throughout my time here at Harvard, and I wasn’t particularly compelled to go there a second time just to catch a quick sunset. That said though, I’m willing to bet that there’s potential for a beautiful view. Maybe I’ll make my second visit sometime before the end of my senior year…

A Literal Helicopter

Apparently you can go on a sunset tour of Boston in a helicopter. This one’s not really on campus per se, but hey — go big or go home right?

I will admit my bias: Weeks Bridge is and always will be my favorite sunset watching location. Something about watching the sky change color at the end of a long day makes the Harvard experience just a little less terrible. Here’s to more photos to add to the photo album on my phone titled “Sunsets 🌇.” Happy sunset watching!

Flyby BlogAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.