FOOTBALL WITH BATES TODAY

University Team Plays First Game in Stadium at 3 o'clock.

The University football team will play its first game of the season with Bates in the Stadium this afternoon at 3 o'clock. Last year the Bates game was the third on the schedule and Harvard won 18 to 0. The game was sensational and fast, Corbett making a touchdown on the kick-off after a 100-yard run. This year Bates has a number of new men in its line-up, while Harvard will be represented by a heavy, and nearly veteran team.

The Bates team has, however, an advantage as it has already played two games; last Wednesday Fort McKinley held it to a 0-0 tie, while on Saturday Hebron Academy was defeated 15 to 0. The University team has had but three scrimmages and has been hampered by the rainy weather of the past week. Nevertheless, the men are all in good condition as a result of a very thorough preliminary practice and the individual playing should counterbalance the early season lack of team-work. Seven of the team won their letter last year; and two others, Fisher, who played on the 1912 Freshman team, and Houston, who was a substitute on the University team last fall, are experienced players. P. D. Smith has been shifted from centre to his last year's position at halfback and will start the game in that position.

The teams will line up as follows: HARVARD.  BATES. F. de H. Houston, l.e.  r.e., McCollister McKay, l.t.  r.t., D. Andrews West, l.g.  r.g., Dacey Withington, c.  c., Dorman or Bickford Fisher, r.g.  l.g., Carroll Fish, r.t.  l.t., W. Andrews G.G. Browne, r.e.  l.e., Bishop O'Flaherty, q.b.  q.b., Cumings Corbett, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Dennis P. D. Smith, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Keaney F. H. Leslie, f.b.  f.b., Lovell

The officials for the game today will be: Referee--J. B. Pendleton, Bowdoin. Umpire--H. H. Hackett, West Point. Field-judge--H.L. Dadmun, of Worcester. Time--15-minute halves.

Light Practice Yesterday

The practice yesterday was very light and there was no scrimmage on account of the rain. The first squad had a long drill on defensive and offensive formations in the baseball cage. The out-door practice was held in the Stadium for the first time this year. Corbett and Frothingham did quite a little punting, the latter getting off some very long kicks. The backs were given an opportunity to handle forward passes on a wet day, while the linemen were drilled in starting and blocking. Signal practice and formation drill were followed by slight practice in catching punt-outs and special drill in several details of play. Several kick-offs, from regular formation, were run in by the first team before the end of practice.

Withington, McKay and Frothingham stayed out to practice kicking off, and the former sent away several very pretty balls. The practice was sharp and snappy, the whole squad handling a wet ball very cleanly. A.E. Stowe '12 has been taken on the first squad.

Light Practice Yesterday