Gardella Is Elected Football Captain; Dave Ives to Lead '40 Soccer Team

Grid Lettermen Unanimous in Choice of Outstanding Junior Handyman

Joseph W. Gardella of Arlington was chosen to lead the 1940 grid squad by a unanimous vote of the 22 Varsity football lettermen in Dillon Field House yesterday afternoon, and David O. Ives '41 was elected to captain the next soccer team.

The new football captain stands six feet in height and weighs 170 pounds. A product of Worcester Academy, this 23 year old Junior has won Varsity football letters for the last two years in addition to winning numerals on the gridiron in his Freshman year.

All-Around Athlete

At Arlington High and Worcester Academy, Gardella distinguished himself as an all-around athlete. At various times he has competed in football, hockey, baseball, track, and swimming, excelling in all of them. Aside from football, hockey is his first love. Pressure of studies, however, prevents him from trying for a position on Clark Hodder's ice squad.

Handyman Gardella

In services rendered, Gardella ranks high among Crimson football players in recent years. He broke into the Varsity lineup last fall and has been a valuable cog in the Harlow machine ever since. Durable as they come, Joe is equally at home at tailback, fullback, or wingback.

Ives, who prepped at Milton Academy, won his Freshman numerals at outside right and a Varsity letter at the same position last year. At the beginning of this season, he was shifted to fullback, and later to right halfback.